[rant] DIR vs. DID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

biscuit7 once bubbled...
Honestly, the biggest turn-off to me is the way that it's approached from the very top of the ladder. Even if I ever take on the approach, which I'm NOT writing off, I would never call myself DIR. I think it's elitist and demeaning to all the excellent divers out there that haven't bought into it.

After a minor fin incident in the pool yesterday, I considered that spring straps wouldn't be such a bad idea <gasp>, but that's still just DIHIMSTM (doing it how it makes sense to me). The reality is that's all DIR is to anyone that follows the system, I can hope, otherwise the lemming analogy applies.

R

Actually, whether intended or not, I think the name DIR is just shy of genius. Think about this-you, and many before you are talking about DIR. Some things you like, some you don't. But you're talking about it.

If they had called this diving system "Bob's Way Of Diving" (yes, I did that on purpose:D ), it wouldn't be as in your face. It would be a great system, but the noise wouldn't be there. Was this on purpose? I don't know, but it's brilliant.

That said, everything is thought out very well in DIR. There are messengers that are abrasive, and there are those that are just plain wannabees. But there are also those that pass on the knowledge where they can, without trying to teach a class. Those are the ones you should listen to if you're at all interested. You've found out about one piece of the equation by yourself-the spring strap. There is much to learn here. Just get past the name.

I hope I don't stir up a hornets nest here...

Why is it that we have all accepted that DIR is doing Doing it Right, and by default everyone else is doing it Wrong?

Exactly...that is the concept. Don't let them fool you, the die-hards will even tell you if you don't follow their religion, you WILL DIE!!! I've been ostracized and lambasted by them and you know what...the attitude just pushes me further away.
I'm glad to see some that support the idea here and obviously aren't as vocal about the YOU WILL DIE attitude, but there are those DIR folks that would claim that you aren't really in tune with the philosophy.
I had enough of the "stroke" and other name calling. I now rank many of the DIR folks with those of an unnamed religious group that comes knocking at your door on Sat. mornings telling you you're going to hell.
I am an open minded person and wish I didn't think this way...but I think as you have concluded Rachel...enough is enough. I read about a woman that seriously though about quitting diving after the first day of DIR class because of the lambasting and YOU WILL DIE comments. Sad but true.
I say to each his/her own.

Hypothetical situation:
-diver dies while diving

DIR reaction:
-He wasn't DIR.

Hypothetical situation:
-diver dies diving that was DIR

DIR reaction:
-He only thought he was DIR...he really didn't dive DIR.

I get the feeling it's a no-win situation. There's no such thing as perfection...yet my perception is that perfection is what they claim.

you can jump into tech diving with no knowledge about it at all, no research required, no trail and error, no experience neccessary.

No thank you...this I don't understand...probably because I'm not DIR. But I would prefer not to jump into anything without having knowledge about it.

I hope I didn't upset anyone, I really didn't intend to...I just have gotten enough name calling from some of the DIR folks out there that even if I did follow ALL the principles I still would not want to be associated with those that have the YOU WILL DIE attitude.

It's kind of like the Harley riders driving the 20K hogs giving the finger to those of us that could only afford the 5K rice burners. Now that I can afford a Harley, I don't want one.

22 responses in 2 hrs 13 minutes...
Not bad, not bad.
Rick

mars2u once bubbled...
the die-hards will even tell you if you don't follow their religion, you WILL DIE!!! I've been ostracized and lambasted by them

Please be specific. Who are you referring to? I have had multiple conversations with different GUE instructors and can't fathom any one of them saying something like this.

mars2u once bubbled...
I had enough of the "stroke" and other name calling. I now rank many of the DIR folks with those of an unnamed religious group that comes knocking at your door on Sat. mornings telling you you're going to hell.

Again, let's be specific. Please provide a link to a thread in which a SB member who you would term as "DIR" derides another SB member as being a "stroke".

kkm

Rick,

Things were slow. We needed a good troll and what's better than DIR. BTW, how many posts do I have in this thread? Am I in the lead?

mars2u,

I have good news and bad news...
The good news is that no one will call you names here you are safe.

The bad news is that your going to die, we all are.

Please be specific

No problem...do a DIR search on Google on newsgroups for rec.scuba and on rec.scuba.equipment

I never claimed it happened on this board in my reply...you just assumed I did. Sorry...should have been more specific. There is plenty of lambasting there and I got tired of it. The reason I came here is because there are moderators that can take care of this type of attitude (at least I hope they would).

King Kong Matt once bubbled...

Please be specific. Who are you referring to? I have had multiple conversations with different GUE instructors and can't fathom any one of them saying something like this.

Again, let's be specific. Please provide a link to a thread in which a SB member who you would term as "DIR" derides another SB member as being a "stroke".

kkm

I have to agree with matt. I have been on the board for a while now and have not heard any such talk like that in quite a while. I have heard members voice their opinions of DIR but have not heard any name calling in a long time suchs as "stroke" or "your gonna die" if you dont dive DIR. Every DIR diver i have met on this board and outside this board at dive locations have been extremely friendly. I have adopted a lot of their philiosphies and equipment configurations.

The bad news is that your going to die, we all are.

:) Point taken...at least you didn't say all of us non-DIR's are going to die diving.

mars2u once bubbled...
No problem...do a DIR search on Google on newsgroups for rec.scuba and on rec.scuba.equipment

Now I get it.

Geez...only a stroke would follow those newsgroups.

Sorry...too easy. :D

King Kong Matt once bubbled...

Now I get it.

Geez...only a stroke would follow those newsgroups.

Can I get a moderator to table 4 please...hello...moderator to table 4..table 4
!#$^ it
:) :boxing:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom