Rapid Emergency Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a pretty cool vid.

I have no idea how subs work in terms of pressure. I'd love to hear what others have to say. Logically I'd think that they would have to be pressurized above the ambient pressure to keep from imploding, but how knows.

Subs are not 1 AtA, they are actually pressurized to an intermedeate depth pressure. That is why sub personnel are considered hyperbarric environment trained. I don,t know what the pressure levels are though.

So do you think the military is looking at these rapid ascent things from a statistical point of view? If they didn't have them and the sub goes down there are 100% casualties. If they have these they could cut that to 50% casualty rate.

They must need ships with just hyperbaric chambers on them to deal with the rapid ascents. I can only imagine what it would be like to go through this, then sit at the surface in agony from getting bent. Interesting concept though; I wish I had a big tank like that to play in.

Subs are not 1 AtA, they are actually pressurized to an intermedeate depth pressure. That is why sub personnel are considered hyperbarric environment trained. I don,t know what the pressure levels are though.

Are you sure?

Escape trunk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"This is a risky operation, as when a submarine has been damaged enough to sink it is possible there was an ingress of water into the pressure hull raising the internal pressure above the normal 1 bar."

Indicating that internal pressure is 1 bar.

Cool. The suit must have a release value to keep it from popping as they go up. And what kind of speed do they get going from 600 ft? Seems like you could tumble.

Subs are kept at 1atm, more or less. I did not know that the system was good to 600 ft, I had heard 300. Ascent rates (I'm told) were on the order of 300 ft/min, I don't know about the new system.

Wow ... gotta love those Brits.

Back
Top Bottom