Rawlings Rumor @ bad fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tddfleming

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We just heard a rumor last night about Rawlings suppling bad fills. Has anyone heard anything about this or experienced themselves? One LDS has even gone as far as stating that if you rent tanks from them, they will not allow you to have them filled there at Rawlings. I have not had any issues with the tanks that I have had filled there has anyone else????

I have spent five or six weekends at Rawlings this year have I have not heard or seen anything concerning bad fills.

Thanks
JohnL

John:

I have had no problems myself. I go with my husband and daughter since we started late last year, and have never had any issues with any fills. This rumor came as a shock and wanted to see if anyone else has heard or experienced anything out there. I have to say, I have not had any tanks filled yet this year, but I already bought our fill card last time we went out. I may not care for the attitude for one or 2 of them, but that is besides the point.

We just heard a rumor last night about Rawlings suppling bad fills. Has anyone heard anything about this or experienced themselves? One LDS has even gone as far as stating that if you rent tanks from them, they will not allow you to have them filled there at Rawlings. I have not had any issues with the tanks that I have had filled there has anyone else????

Perhaps the LDS has O2-clean tanks and Rawlings doesn't supploy O2-compatible clean grade E air?

We have a dive shop in San Carlos that won't fill O2 clean tanks because their Nitrox banking system is not O2 clean.

Last edited:
Bad fills can be real. I know we have experienced a compressor failure that made 14 people sick from CO poisoning. Now if that is the case here, I have no clue.

This is where Dandydon steps in and touts having a CO meter and I will agree with him 100%. It rules out the unknown that you can't see or smell.

I would recommend asking for their most current air sample report!

Bad fills can be real. I know we have experienced a compressor failure that made 14 people sick from CO poisoning. Now if that is the case here, I have no clue.

This is where Dandydon steps in and touts having a CO meter and I will agree with him 100%. It rules out the unknown that you can't see or smell.

I would recommend asking for their most current air sample report!

Peter:

This sound like it could be a good idea. How many have ever gone into a LDS or such and asked for the air sample report? Also, would it be easy to read? In other words, could I make heads or tails out of the report? Should it be easy for them to put their hands on or something that will take a while to find? By asking, am I opening a can of worms? Will I get harrassed by the staff for pulling this card??

Last edited:
Perhaps the LDS has O2-clean tanks and Rawlings doesn't supploy O2-clean grade E air?

We have a dive shop in San Carlos that won't fill O2 clean tanks because their Nitrox banking system is not O2 clean.

The reasoning that we were told was that if the air was bad then it would contaminate all their tanks and air in the tanks. So maybe. But it seems it would be hard to control what happens to your rental tanks once they leave your shop. So you would have to rent however many tanks you need for the day vs doing a fill there.

Last edited:
I've posted several threads asking for online posting of dive reports so that folks can make themselves familiar with the reports. I don't think there is much interest though.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/compressors-boosters-nitrox-trimix-blending-systems/380055-does-your-shop-post-air-quality-results-online.html

Thanks for posting this. I printed out the report for Fill Express. Please educate me, is this report good or bad. What areas are of concern, if any? Are the CO2 in normal line?

The other links for ther other reports are dead.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom