Rawlings Rumor @ bad fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have printed and am looking at both your reports. I also have your certificates. Which I assume you get when you pass???? Are all the "Characteristics" within acceptable limits, I assume since you have the cert? However, are there any that are maybe a little high or low that one should pay attention to, ie CO2? Just trying to make heads or tails out of this, so if I see another one, I know what to look for. On your Dec report10-27042 the Co2 is reading 325 under source, it this good or bad???

I have printed and am looking at both your reports. I also have your certificates. Which I assume you get when you pass???? Are all the "Characteristics" within acceptable limits, I assume since you have the cert? However, are there any that are maybe a little high or low that one should pay attention to, ie CO2? Just trying to make heads or tails out of this, so if I see another one, I know what to look for. On your Dec report10-27042 the Co2 is reading 325 under source, it this good or bad???

Yes, first of all, we passed . Now, look at the test results. We passed not only for Grade E and Nitrox, but also for Oxygen Compatible Air. That means that that air may be mixed with Oxygen safely.

Yes, 325 is high. It prompted us to go looking for the cause. It's within spec, so we haven't shut down the operation, but usually the reason for high CO2 is that there is actually high CO, and one of the catalysts in the filter changed it to CO2, doing it's job. The air for this test was banked at the dock, so it's quite possible that the exhaust from the generator was swirling around on the main deck while pumping this air. Offshore, the exhaust would be blown down wind. The previous test had no indication of high CO2, so we'll check the next one carefully looking for trends.

You will also notice that the TVHC is a little higher in that compressor than in the nitrox compressor. That compressor had a known problem with the 4th stage plunger rings. I knew that, although you wouldn't necessarily. The rings were replaced 2 month ago. The nitrox compressor takes it's suction from a highly filtered low pressure air system. The air compressor takes it's suction from the main deck.

Yes, first of all, we passed . Now, look at the test results. We passed not only for Grade E and Nitrox, but also for Oxygen Compatible Air. That means that that air may be mixed with Oxygen safely.

Yes, 325 is high. It prompted us to go looking for the cause. It's within spec, so we haven't shut down the operation, but usually the reason for high CO2 is that there is actually high CO, and one of the catalysts in the filter changed it to CO2, doing it's job. The air for this test was banked at the dock, so it's quite possible that the exhaust from the generator was swirling around on the main deck while pumping this air. Offshore, the exhaust would be blown down wind. The previous test had no indication of high CO2, so we'll check the next one carefully looking for trends.

You will also notice that the TVHC is a little higher in that compressor than in the nitrox compressor. That compressor had a known problem with the 4th stage plunger rings. I knew that, although you wouldn't necessarily. The rings were replaced 2 month ago. The nitrox compressor takes it's suction from a highly filtered low pressure air system. The air compressor takes it's suction from the main deck.

Thanks for being so honest and pointing things out to me. Yes, I did notice the TVHC between the 2 but the CO2 caught my eye more. What is within acceptable limits for the CO2? Also, using that gas under pressure would it not make those results worse or not???? As for the TVHC, acceptable limits and what are the worries with that being high for a diver? I also have someone elses report in front of me. Water report, 103, high? What are the worries there? On this other report, it shows the TVHC as 2.1 and the Methane as 2.1 would this be something to worry about?

Let me ask you, if I walked up to you and asked to see your reports and cert. would that offend you??? Does that put you on the defensive?
I hope I am not calling you out, I am just nosey:wink:

Thanks for being so honest and pointing things out to me. Yes, I did notice the TVHC between the 2 but the CO2 caught my eye more. What is within acceptable limits for the CO2? Also, using that gas under pressure would it not make those results worse or not???? As for the TVHC, acceptable limits and what are the worries with that being high for a diver? I also have someone elses report in front of me. Water report, 103, high? What are the worries there? On this other report, it shows the TVHC as 2.1 and the Methane as 2.1 would this be something to worry about?

Let me ask you, if I walked up to you and asked to see your reports and cert. would that offend you??? Does that put you on the defensive?
I hope I am not calling you out, I am just nosey:wink:

You'll see the limits for CO2 in air at 1000 ppm. We are less than a third of that, high, but not out of range. I have had CO2 over 10,000 PPM before. The reason had nothing to do with my compressor.

God yes, I think you should ask everyone for their most recent air test. If it's more than 6 months old, walk away.

This link will answer most of your questions. Click here for even greater detail.

Just ask Rawlings if they can show you a quarterly air/gas sample analysis. Chances are, if it's not completed to Trace Analytics Laboratory standards (if they even have one) its not a good idea getting a fill if "E" grade purity concerns you.

This link will answer most of your questions. Click here for even greater detail.

Just ask Rawlings if they can show you a quarterly air/gas sample analysis. Chances are, if it's not completed to Trace Analytics Laboratory standards (if they even have one) its not a good idea getting a fill if "E" grade purity concerns you.

Thanks Andy! Should "E" grade concern me????

Andy, PM me if you know something that I don't. I know you go out there as well. Are you suggesting that they would not have one? When you go out, do you get fills from them?

Bad fills can be real. I know we have experienced a compressor failure that made 14 people sick from CO poisoning. Now if that is the case here, I have no clue.

This is where Dandydon steps in and touts having a CO meter and I will agree with him 100%. It rules out the unknown that you can't see or smell.

I would recommend asking for their most current air sample report!
It's rare to see anyone admitting their compressor caused CO hits. Good for manning-up. :thumb:

I certainly think that every fill station at every dive destination should have inline CO monitors, carefully & routinely calibrated, with autho shutoff that staff will not bypass when it interrupts their work, as if they're not that serious about the air we breath - get out and find a less serious business. It's only a matter of life and death really.

But then, the trust-me approach fails me even then. If I can't be there to see the compressor running with the CO monitor operating while my tanks are filled, I have to wonder - and banked or nurse tanks contain air blending from different times. Yeah, I think fill stations should do their part, but I'm still going to do mine and test every tank.

And then there is the real world, like Santa Rosa NM where divers from several states go to practice. Tanks are filled by a sweetheart of a lady who owns an old compressor that she and her late husband got somewhere, and she is there every weekend, available after her day job other days on request - and many of us who don't own and want to carry 4 or more tanks each on the long trip over really depend on her for our dives - but she will never be able to add an inline monitor. My home bud used to think I was a fanatic on this CO issue (we agree to disagree on politics & religion among other things) but went along with my testing and saw his air at 5ppm the first time there. :shocked2: 5 ain't much, but where did it come from and what could it be next time? Bring the tester!! Then in Cozumel we turned a boat when we saw 17. :shakehead:

Current air sample reports are worthless! Oh, they may reflect that the operator is trying at least, but this ain't horseshoes and close don't cut it. However good the air sample tested from several weeks or months ago, first thing in the morning after a filter change has little to do with how good the air may be now, from a machine that has been running hard all day. So many think that air intake is everything on a compressor but a hot machine leads to a partial combustion of its own lubricating oil - maybe not enough to smell or taste, but enough to exceed CO limits. Maximum allowed is 10 ppm by the way - such a small but important number: 10 parts in 1,000,000.

I know, for an individual diver to consider spending that much money on a personal tester, something that their shop and Inst did not warn them that they needed when they started, cannot be encouraging. It's a relatively new idea to the sport, but only because the technology is very new and no one I know of was pushing the idea even a few years ago. SPGs were new once too, as were Octos and BCs. I didn't like spending $130 on my first one but the more I learned the more I realized how important. I've since had to upgrade that $130 analyzer to the correct model, along with a replacement after a dumb accident ruined one, but to make my point - I now carry it and the nicer, easier, faster Analox unit - still a bargain at $290 (Scubatoys.com).

Now why the problem originally asked in the thread? :idk: Other than the risks of partial pressure blending Nitrox in a possibly dirty tank, I don't see it.

And if you are wondering why 10+ppm CO is serious when 300+ppm CO2 is not...?
Even tho the CO2 results raises a flag for the Op to explore, it doesn't cause a problem in your lungs, even at depth, as long as the O2 is still around 20% - which is is.

But if the CO tests at 17ppm like we saw that day on the way to a deep site, and we had dived it to 130 ft or so as planned, that's like breathing 85ppm at depth, while working, the O2 is also at a higher PP so not so bad until you ascend - but CO binds to your blood. On ascent, the PPO drops faster than the CO bound and your risk of a hit increases. Will you remain conscious and breathing from that tank until you reach the surface and signal for help? Will help be immediate? Will you survive long enough to get on the boat's O2 kit? And as in one accident that happened in Coz year before last - what do you do when everyone on the boat comes back ill and needing O2 from that one kit? Fortunately they all survived the trip to shore where more kits and ambulances met the boat. The injuries were not fatal and while the Operator lost a profitable dock franchise, he recently gained a new one. Whether he now monitors his compressor for CO is unknown, but his new resort puts more money into advertising that fixing their continued problem with Legionnaires' infections that hardly anyone hears about, so - business continues.​
I've posted several threads asking for online posting of dive reports so that folks can make themselves familiar with the reports. I don't think there is much interest though.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/compressors-boosters-nitrox-trimix-blending-systems/380055-does-your-shop-post-air-quality-results-online.html
It bothered me at first when I heard that Padi had quietly stopped requiring quarterly tests, doing even less to protect us, while DAN is seemingly afraid to approach this need - until I realized that a snapshot of quality 4 times a year is no assurance. I'm not going to post on your thread, but here ya go. Nice attitude, wrong direction.

not sure if you read my thread...however i disagree completely that they are a "complete waste of time". I understand they only capture a snapshot based on the shop sending in the gas...and that this process is open to deceit or intentional manipulation.
It's only one data point, one that i'd like to see.

I would like divers to become familiar with this process. The analox co ii is only 300...and in the grand scheme of scuba costs that is pretty low from where i'm sitting.

1. check posting of test results (online posting allows more familiarity with data)
2. confirm the shop has inline CO monitors
3. check your own gas with o2 and co monitor

I think that agencies bailed on the testing because they didn't want to be responsible for administrating and confirming results. Our legal system is goofy and lawyers are trying their best to manipulate and ruin the meaning of "justice".

Pardon for :focus: . . .

So, HAS anyone heard anything further about Rawlings having "bad air"? Or is it the one shop that says "don't fill my tanks [elsewhere]"? Seems like Rawlings is getting a bad rap.

Pardon for :focus: . . .

So, HAS anyone heard anything further about Rawlings having "bad air"? Or is it the one shop that says "don't fill my tanks [elsewhere]"? Seems like Rawlings is getting a bad rap.

Jax:

I do not want them to get a bad rap, that is why I say I heard a rumor. It was one shop in the area that said they do not want anyone to have their rental tanks filled by Rawlings because they heard or were told about bad air from there. However, I wanted to make sure this was not the case. As I rent tanks from Rawlings, had tanks filled at Rawlings and never had an issue. But no one has come forward to say they have, so I take that to mean no issues or not wanting to stir the pot. But, I have learned a lot about the testing and such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom