RDX-550D Housing....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

e12ry

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all....

I'm planning to buy the RDX-550D for my 550D housing....

So for u that have been using it for a while....
Please give me some review....
About the durability.... and so on....
And a list of ur setup lens and so on are very appreciate....:D

Thanks before.....
Regards...
Erry

I can't comment on durability because I've only used it three times. It doesn't feel or look like a cheap housing though. It's easy to put together and I don't feel it's too big or too small. (I'm a girl who wears extra small size gloves.) Right now I have a Canon 60mm with the standard macro port and a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye with the compact dome port. Both setups are negatively buoyant, so I had to get some stix floats for my strobe arms.

You got my private message reply but I'll simply add that this housing, like many others, will function best and perform very well if maintained properly . . particularly with regard to rinsing and soaking following salt water diving as well as proper cleaning, inspection and greasing of the O-rings and the areas in which they rest and touch. Working all the housing controls while submerged in fresh water is also important to keep them moving freely. It's amazing how "unlucky" some owners can be when they ignore those kinds of things.

@fuggler : Hi there.... thx for the quick reply.... one question do u use the 60mm macro with "standart macro port" did u mean the standart port or with th base port s and the 52 macro port.....? can it use the standart flat port for the 60mm macro...??
and do u use the focus gear with 60mm or maybe the zoom gear with ur tokina? goshhh the focus/zoom gear are very2 expensive.... hehehehe.....

@applecorps : thx for the reply.... i always soak my cam after a dive.... do u use standart port?? can it be use for 60mm macro?? hehehehe

@all : what base and handle do u guys use...... is the sea and sea L handle type any good.... or stick to the ulcs.... (i already have one for my pocket - the digital tray one.....) and from some post i rerad that u cant open the case while the housing is still mounted on the handle......??

How's the button function.... under water.... some of my friend canon case stop to work under 30m..... and hows the button align with the camera button.....

Thx so much.....

I use the Standard Flat Port with a Tamron 10-20mm wide angle lens with zoom gear on it. Works great.
I use the UL tray and handles . . much less money and better grips IMHO. There's a lip on the tray that stabilizes the housing with only one fastener into the bottom of the housing. Works fine. The extension has the right handle close to the housing for easy finger reach to shutter and other controls. True, the handles make opening the housing a problem but removing the housing with a single thumb screw is quick and easy and, personally, I would rather not open the housing while still attached to the tray and strobe arms.

@applecorps : Thx.... do u have ur setup picture..... hehehe....

These 4 pics show the RDX-550 Housing with S&S compact dome port plus cover (into S&S base port), two Inon Z-240 strobes, UL tray (with extension), two UL Handles, four UL arms, six UL clamps, 4 stx floats, two fiber optic cables, and a Fantasea Nano Focus Light on top. Not visible is a Tokina 10-17mm lens, an Aquatica moisture alarm and the Canon T2i camera. I also have a Sigma 10-20 Wide Angle Lens and the S&S Standard Flat Port for use with it.

PICT0025.JPG
PICT0026.JPG
PICT0027.JPG
PICT0028.JPG

I use the Inon gripbase M1 mainly because I upgraded from a compact and already had the gripbsae d4 arm. Very light and compact and a lot cheaper than the Sea and Sea set. Still has the same problem of opening the housing with two arms attached. But with one arm, which I have been using for macro, no problem at all. I got mine from Yuzo:
UWdigitalcamera.com :: Tray and Arm :: INON :: INON GRIP Base M1

INON NEWS: Grip Base M1 for X-2 for GF1

Overall I am happy with the housing. I use the 60mm behind the standard port with autofocus and it works well.

Magrone: I'm glad to know that you are able to use the 60mm macro lens with the RDX Standard Flat Port because I've been planning on acquiring that lens but wasn't looking forward to buying another port.

thx for the picture applecorps.... hehehe.... :D
hows the buoyancy with the dome port?? ist still negative??
And just wondering..... how deep u take ur rdx housing?? hehehe....

Back
Top Bottom