RDX-550D Housing....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the photos... I want to inquiry about the effectivenes of the handles. when you grip the handles are you able to access the shutter relase button and the focus selection points by right hand and can you easly use your left finger to adjust the focus/zoom?

Does any body have experience combining the rdx-550d housing with the sea&sea, sea arm 8 tray set? I have been advised by sea&sea that this is the new combination anymore and recommended grip stay L is no more produced. The problem with the sea arm 8 tray and grip is that, I am very unconfortable controlling the shutter on the right and zoom on the left. You need to grip the handles from the middle which makes it very unconfortable.

Does any one have different experience and any idea how to overcome this?

been used it for 50+ dive.... never had a problem.... access are easy.... shutter button easy to access....

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the photos... I want to inquiry about the effectivenes of the handles. when you grip the handles are you able to access the shutter relase button and the focus selection points by right hand and can you easly use your left finger to adjust the focus/zoom?

Does any body have experience combining the rdx-550d housing with the sea&sea, sea arm 8 tray set? I have been advised by sea&sea that this is the new combination anymore and recommended grip stay L is no more produced. The problem with the sea arm 8 tray and grip is that, I am very unconfortable controlling the shutter on the right and zoom on the left. You need to grip the handles from the middle which makes it very unconfortable.

Does any one have different experience and any idea how to overcome this?

Latest picture of my rdx550d....:D
IMG_9501re.jpg

I am in the process of researching a housing for my 550D so this thread was very helpful. I see this model has been discontinued and I was wondering if people with this housing could provide an update on their experiences with it. Are there things you dont like about it?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I am in the process of researching a housing for my 550D so this thread was very helpful. I see this model has been discontinued and I was wondering if people with this housing could provide an update on their experiences with it. Are there things you dont like about it?

Thank you in advance.

Hi' Danny,
I have actually owned the RDX 550 housing for about half a year and find that it seems to be very good quality. So far I have only used it in the cold Danish and Norwegian waters 2-4 degrees centigrades at the moment and even though the housing is very compact, I don't feel it is a problem to use the dials and buttons with big gloves.
I have added a Nauticam flexitray with extension to the housing and the tray works fine. Only problem is, that I have to take off the tray before I can open the housing (it isn't that much of a problem, because I always disassemple the housing after the dive anyway. Only time I find it irritating is, when I forget to turn on my leak detector.

I was a little worried and a bit of a chicken when considering taking quite expensive camera and lenses underwater, even though I have never flooded any compact housings for at least the last 10 years. I therefore looked into the different leak detectors on the market. Obviously the best seems to be Hugyfot's vacuum system, but it is only for hugyfot housings and also very expensive. Then I found a third party suplier of vacuum systems, but again the price put me off. In the end, I was prepared to buy one of the leak detectors, which gives a sound, when water is entering the housing. But more or less by chance I found a small one guy owned company, who made pre dive vacuum leak detector, at a very affordable price. He did not have a leak detector for the RDX housing and I was not too keen drilling a hole in my new housing :eyebrow: , but after I had sent a lot of pictures, measurements etc. to him, he actually made a vacuum leak detector which fits in the YS converter of the RDX housing (I use fibre optics strobes).
If interested the link is www.vividhousings.com . I know I have found it has been a great "insurance" for me.

You can use the standard RDX port with the 18-55 kit lens and even better with the 60 mm Canon macro (which is a great lens). I have also bought a compact dome and a Tokina 10-17 (also very good)

One more thing. With the standard RDX port the system gets quite heavy underwater, why you will need to add some kind of floats - probably both to the flash arms and around the port (after I have added floats and "balanced the system", the pleasure taking pictures underwater increased dramatically)

Please let me know if you have more questions, then I will try to answer.

rgds,
Claus

Hi' Danny,

But more or less by chance I found a small one guy owned company, who made pre dive vacuum leak detector, at a very affordable price. He did not have a leak detector for the RDX housing and I was not too keen drilling a hole in my new housing :eyebrow: , but after I had sent a lot of pictures, measurements etc. to him, he actually made a vacuum leak detector which fits in the YS converter of the RDX housing (I use fibre optics strobes).
If interested the link is www.vividhousings.com . I know I have found it has been a great "insurance" for me.

One more thing. With the standard RDX port the system gets quite heavy underwater, why you will need to add some kind of floats - probably both to the flash arms and around the port (after I have added floats and "balanced the system", the pleasure taking pictures underwater increased dramatically)

Please let me know if you have more questions, then I will try to answer.

rgds,
Claus

Hi All

I've just bought the RDX550d housing and standard port, im over the moon with the build quality. I've as yet to get it all wet with the english weather what it is, so I've busied my self making a tray and arms as they r so expensive,

Life boat 108.jpgLife boat 109.jpg

I too was a little apprehensive to take my (new to me) expensive camera under water ( Had a G9 previously which i never flooded "touch wood" :wink: ) I read yr post Claus the other week and got in touch with "Miso" at Vivid Housings - affordable underwater housings, vacuum leak detector, underwater photo accessories as i had a few questions about the Leak Sentinel.

My query was that the Vacuum type safety equipment maybe adding further unnecessary pressures to the housing which could draw water into the housing before the housing was even going to leak.

But he put my mind to rest and informed me that the under-pressure that is applied, is PRIOR to diving (15mins) for peace of mind before water gets anywhere near yr camera... which to me sound way better than having a beep coming from my housing as it fills with sea water.... Also housings shouldn't be taken to their limits anyway and the under-pressure of the vacuum equates to 2m of depth 0.2 bar. Which i can live with :wink:

Also for u that are maybe looking for a leak detector/Vacuum pressure detector, Vivid Housings have just produced their new V2 of the Leak Sentinel where Miso has made several mods, no wires everything is contained in its self (no packed circuit board inside the housing) auto calibrating pressure sensor amongst other modification and its WELL polished off piece of kit "Id say"... its not on the website yet but he's very informative and i found him great to deal with... well worth 200 euros. IMHO

Sorry if i sound like a sales man for Vivid housing lol but im just cuffed i read Claus's post the other week and dont have LEAK LEAK LEAK playing in the back of my mind every time i dive.

I find my whole rig very heavy does any1 know where to buy the foam stix from in the uk. Also Was thinking of using hot water pipe foam has any1 tried anything different other than what is on the market?

Thanks alot Gary

Back
Top Bottom