Re-cert help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSSRN

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone,
Looking for help if anyone remembers Bob Green (Greene?) from Orange County California. He was my instructor back in 1976. I can remember the shop had a pool on one side and store on the right. Through the years and a variety of moves I lost my certification card. It was replaced once years ago. Darned if I can't find that one.
Now NAUI and PADI say they have no record of my name, and want further information.
I can't remember the name or address of the dive shop, but after all my trips to the store I can picture the place vividly. On the westside of the street. Two adjoining stores in a strip mall. I think in Anaheim. On Harbor, Euclid, or Brookhurst maybe.
I'm still active, traveling, and want to dive. Any help is definitely appreciated.
Remember to follow the smallest bubble up. Thanks.

Padi didn't have diver numbers back in the 70s and all records were on microfilm so if you don't have your old cards of certificates you are probably out of luck.

Padi didn't have diver numbers back in the 70s and all records were on microfilm so if you don't have your old cards of certificates you are probably out of luck.

Thanks. Not what I wanted to hear, though you're probably right.

Maybe @Sam Miller III will see your post. He knew just about everyone in diving in Orange County.

I'll be darned but I have no recollection the dive shop you are referring to and I lived in OC for many years, including Anaheim.

NAUI didn't have any records dating back to when I got certified in '69 but I still have my card so I got it straightened out (just wanted a new card that didn't say "Scuba Diver" on it). I think your choices may be to find your card or take a new course.

Last edited:
I couldn't find my card from the 70s either but lucked out that Padi was able to locate my AOW record from 1977 so I was able to get an updated card.

My first thought was Lyle Hoskins and son but they were on PCH in Newport Beach

Second was Laguna Sea Sports in Laguna beach which had (has) a pool

The third was a short lived shop on one of the major streets ran by a husband and wife...strange I cant recall his name but her name was Ginger (as I recall after all these years) She was a rabble rouser ..and not much of a diver

There was a shop in north Anaheim south of the FW on the border with Fullerton, It had an jointing pool tucked into a strip mall..I some how suspect that was shop, BUT it was an NASDS shop .

It could have also been a PADI shop - PADI HQ was card board box on 17th street in CM. Just prior to that junction in history send in money and you were a PADI instructor- John Gaffney sent in $$$ to PADI and his dog was a certified PADI instructor, a NAUI instructor from Texas made his Duck a PADI instructor (leave it to a Texican) So it could have also been a PADI instructor from a PADI shop

Give t some more thought and get back to the board- I suspect e combined efforts we can solve your problem and get you a C card.

SDM

I friend of mine certified in that same era got a new card by sending in copies of his log book, which included his certification dives.

My first thought was Lyle Hoskins and son but they were on PCH in Newport Beach

Second was Laguna Sea Sports in Laguna beach which had (has) a pool

The third was a short lived shop on one of the major streets ran by a husband and wife...strange I cant recall his name but her name was Ginger (as I recall after all these years) She was a rabble rouser ..and not much of a diver
T

There was a shop on the North side of PCH down around Newport or Laguna that had a two-man sub inside their store. But that's a long ways from Anaheim.

My ex-wife got certified at the Laguna Sea Sports just up the street from Shaw's Cove on PCH. They have a swimming pool (they are still there). They were NAUI at the time. One of the instructors in '83 was Christopher Carter. The other Laguna Sea Sports was actually in Costa Mesa on Newport. The woman who ran it was Sally (I think). I never dove with her but she was a pistol. This was my #1 dive shop after I bought a boat because on my way back from Dana Point I could just park right along Newport next to the shop, get my tanks filled, and be on my way :) I don't think this store had a pool and I didn't see it last week when I drove down Newport. I heard it was gone and this seems to be the case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom