Ready for my first regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Umm....last time I checked (and this may be different now) Dive Rite was built in FL, Promate overseas. When you open up a Promate, they vaguely resemble a Sherwood- shimms etc. Now, the second stage being generic, the covers fit, I think, but that doesn't mean too much. As for my experiences, I ended up with a set, they were awful. If they weren't freeflowing they were hard breathing, no matter what we did to them. Had another buddy that ran the same problems. BTW, I never truely used them, just in a pool, way too cappy in my opinion to use in real water.
-J

Jay,

The RG3000 you dive is made in the very same factory and uses the same kits as the Promate Tornado, TDL, Salvo, and Oxycheq regulators.

You have a great set of regs, no doubt :D, identicle in design to a Promate.

I can only assume when you talk about shims, you are refering to a piston regulator :confused:, thats how the intermediate pressure is tuned. No shims in your RG3000 or should I say Ocean Divers Balanced Diaphram Branded Diverite...

I sell and service the Promate regulators and just wanted the brand to get a fair shake.

Thanks,
Gary

Frist of all, I don't have a RG3K. Second, if they are the same, that's great. Lets see you post that on your website. And no, I am not being sarcastic, I truly hate deception in any business, it just leads to unhappy customers- those that over paid or those that got substandard stuff. Third, umm, yeah, it was a piston promate, otherwise it would adjust differently.. Fourth, how about we get the manufacturers to weigh in.....And finally- any size tank fill $5- that include doubles? After all, you are only filling one side hehehe

I've been working on and selling regulators for over 11 years now. I've had a few regulators from major manufacturers that would continuosly free flow or breathe "crappy". In the 5 cases I couldn't fix and sent back to the factory it turned out to be a defect that the "Major" manufacturer didn't want to advice the dive industry about. In any case as a dealer if a regulator I sold couldn't be adjusted to breathe well and not free-flow I would have sent it back. For example, Promate had a bad run of inflator connections on their BCs, fortunately a low number shipped and sold, and replaced every one with not one single question. I didn't even have to send the old ones back.
As an Instructor I would never use any regulator in the pool I wouldn't feel safe diving at depth with, or that breathed crappy. Quick way to turn a student off diving, but definitely a quick way to lose a sale.

Atomic is the best piston regulator you can get, Aqua lung the best diaphram regulator. Deal with your local dive shop and they will direct you. Stay away from internet buying of scuba gear and it will pay off in the long run. Your local shop will help you understand what I mean. Just a side note, mostly all modern regulators you can get from a dealer are fine ,again that is why it's good to develop a relationship with your local shop.Remember this, Those internet companies want your money,the local shop wants your support and a relationship.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom