Really bad diving scenes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think I've ever seen a diving-themed mainstream advert that doesn't feature, towards the end, a shot of the divers swimming vertically straight towards the surface, usually using a big-ass flutter kick.

(I would guess it is to reassure the general viewing public that they weren't 'trapped' underwater o_O)

And I'd second the vote against 'Sanctum' (or, 'Scrotum', or 'Rectum', as you prefer). At least when you watch Tomb Raider you should have some awareness you are watching fantasy, but Scrotum presented itself as 'realistic'. Such a missed opportunity - the story could have made a great film if they hadn't felt the need to holywoodise it so thoroughly.

Clive Cussler uses SCUBA a lot in his books, which are great, (ever since he got co-writers to help him add some humor), yet only one of his books has been made into a movie. Any Cussler fans in this thread?

I have read all of them as well. Entertaining easy reads.

Her nipples are clearly visible.

That right there was enough for me to go find this DVD and play it for research purposes. :wink:

Since you are "researching", don't miss out on "The Deep" with Jacqueline Bisset, Nick Nolte and Robert Shaw. One of them wears a t-shirt when she dives. Apparently the water is chilly in Bermuda.

The above is NOTHING.

The true absurdity and breaking of any suspended disbelief is when the heros or villians are able to park right in front of where they are going in cities such as San Francisco. I can believe the ridiculous diving scenes, the black helicopters that make no noise, etc., but NO ONE can park where they're going.

Clive Cussler uses SCUBA a lot in his books, which are great, (ever since he got co-writers to help him add some humor), yet only one of his books has been made into a movie. Any Cussler fans in this thread?
I'm a Cussler fan his earlier books were better his last few books seen to have been relying on the coauthor more and more resulting in more inaccuracies and more magical luck to tie it all together at the end. By the way there are two movies based on his Dirk Pitt series Raise The Titanic and Sahara.

I agree Cussler books vary by authorship, and the recent treasure hunting books are sleepwalking to the international-finance-altering piles of loot. But I love the Oregon files and the original series, and, I confess, the historic fiction. I think Cussler could write an epic on the history of scuba and make it entertaining.

If you put real diving scenes into movies they would be a total yawn fest. I watch movies mostly to enjoy the fictional scenarios.

If you think hollywood is bad with regards to diving accuracy, just ask an IT guy how it does with computer related scenes. Another Angelina Jolie movie comes to mind; hackers. Good movie, totally laughable computer related scenes.
It's so true. I don't think I've ever seen a movie that was fun AND realistic.

Maybe The Big Blue, it's kind of realistic for the most part, I guess.

Here's the lara Croft scene.

Some of my favorite scenes are Snorkeling from "Into the Blue" :D :D :D

Clive Cussler
Is an LA Co and NAUI certified diver and did dive! He is now 86 rapidly approaching 87 and basking in his golden years.

He was trained in Orange County, California by my diving partner of over 50 years the late Mr. Ron Merker who presented him with an LA Co basic diver card and I presented him with NAUI basic SCUBA diving card a long time ago long before PADI. The course he completed do to the content and intensity would be equal today to a super duper pooper PADI course .and turn the OP's hair white and possibly give him a cardiac arrest .

Yes Clive was a DIVER

Clive got revenge by putting us in his books.

Books
Raise the Titanic
There is a individual Sam Merker - who is Short fat black and a traitor who gets killed - Ron and I were and are tall always in shape white and flag waving Americans who served in the Korean war

Night Probe
Sam Quade -- a DDS pilot - early in my career I was involved in Deep submergence- Clive often called me Samuel Q Miller... "Q" ?

In the rest of his books I was identified as

Sam Triad -- I am Sam 111, we go by numbers in my family - Son is Sam IV

Sam Mittler a play on spelling Miller --Mittler

In Sahara I was Doc Miller and shot between the eye by a 45 caliber pistol

And a number of others which I can't recall at this time and do not have the desire to check

I have all of his books I am mentioned in are inscribed by Clive to me and in my library

Currently the great wreck historian Ellsworth Boyd is mentioned by name in a recent book Havana Storm. This is the first time a real live person is mentioned by name.

There is a lot more --but enough for now

SDM

cgi have ruined so many movies making them unrealistic .one of the worst although not a dive movie but water movie was san adreas when the rock drove the boat over a sunami then drove around afterwards through all that rubble without fouling the props

Back
Top Bottom