Really bad diving scenes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clive Cussler uses SCUBA a lot in his books, which are great, (ever since he got co-writers to help him add some humor), yet only one of his books has been made into a movie. Any Cussler fans in this thread?

I own all the early ones, read and re-read them. Sometime after Dirk became more of a passenger I lost interest. There's one recent book I just can't finish because the inevitable/interminable chase scene was so badly telegraphed a dozen or so pages early.

Back to the topic: not really bad scenes but lots of fun, Fay Wray & Ralph Ballamy in Below the Sea (1933). A hard hat treasure diving movie with one terrible underwater octopus scene, but otherwise a pretty good movie. For me the fun part was about halfway through the movie when I had the sudden realization of "Beaks! Whatever happened to Beaks?" pop into my head. It was Ralph's voice that had been nagging me till that point. (hint: Trading Places). :)

<sexist>
Some of my favorite scenes are Snorkeling from "Into the Blue" :D :D :D
Personally, I prefer watching Ms. Bisset in a wet T-sthirt over watching Ms. Alba in a bikini. But le gustibus and all that.
</sexist>

Here's the lara Croft scene.

Some of my favorite scenes are Snorkeling from "Into the Blue" :D :D :D

Into the Blue at least used "some" reality in their dive scenes. Like lift bags to lift stuff off the bottom. And the reality many kilos of cocaine have been found offshore. And it also definitely makes you want to quit life and move to a shack and live the Florida life to destinations like the Keys for example... Until you realize there's nothing great about scrubbing the bottom of boats to pay for gas and there's no Jessica Alba's living in the Keys, especially with guys who live in shacks and scrub boats. :)

*I don't recall where the movie was shot. Probably around Miami, which there are Jessica Alba's living, still not with guys scrubbing boats and living in shacks and it doesn't fit my point.

Last edited:
Into the Blue at least used "some" reality in their dive scenes.
You mean like breathing off a bare scuba tank from 100+ feet??? :D :D :D

Into the Blue did have much more realism than most movies. I saw an interview with Jessica Alba that was a promo for the movie. She did her own diving wih no stunt double, including the long breathhold diving scenes. They even asked her about the parts where she was holding her breath while on scuba (she took breaths off a regulator and then gave what was essentially mouth-to-mouth to someone who was trapped), and she quite correctly said that she was able to do that because she was not ascending.

Into the Blue did have much more realism than most movies. I saw an interview with Jessica Alba that was a promo for the movie. She did her own diving wih no stunt double, including the long breathhold diving scenes. They even asked her about the parts where she was holding her breath while on scuba (she took breaths off a regulator and then gave what was essentially mouth-to-mouth to someone who was trapped), and she quite correctly said that she was able to do that because she was not ascending.
That was the only day ever it was good to be OOA.

Clive Cussler uses SCUBA a lot in his books, which are great, (ever since he got co-writers to help him add some humor), yet only one of his books has been made into a movie. Any Cussler fans in this thread?
I probably would have never got into scuba diving if it wasn't for the inspiration from Cussler's books. The first Sea Hunters book was my favorite.

Cussler had an influence on my decision to get certified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom