Reasons for quiting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlegros once bubbled...

Use the forced air Luke!

"That was baaaaad," said the sheep.

I would say the number one reason is that they aren't having as much fun as they thought they would. There's a whole host of possible reasons for this... they aren't all that comfortable in the water in the first place, the water in their local area is 50 degrees with five feet of vis and they've been watching shows about SCUBA in the Caribbean and thought that's what the local diving would look like, poor instruction leading the new diver to be fearful or any of about a million other reasons.

The second most common reason is probably that it costs more than they thought.

I was out of the water for a while due to the job. Many are gone forecver because of that.

Around here, you're looking at nearly all day driving or riding a boat for two hours or so underwater. That can be a hard sell.

I've finally got the SO into fishing, so that part will be easier at least. Most wrecks here can be fished and dived at the same time. Many are not so fortunate.

The costs can add up. It isn't hard to dump $100 into a day of diving. I now have my captain's license and am working toward divermaster, which should help a little. Most can't pull that off either.

Cold? After the nerve endings die, that isn't a problem!

If you dive and then get pregnant, you family will come first. Children take alot of time. I agree about the money, diving isn't a cheap sport. There are alot of warm water divers that just want the ticket so they can they dive during their vacation. I was once told by a friend, if you have to ask how cold the water is, you don't need to dive. Being from Ontario, I now agree 100%. There are so many factors that could contribute to someone not wanting or being able to dive that it isn't funny. It's an individual thing. I for one will not stop diving.

I could see someone quitting if you're the only diver out of a group of regular friends, and you're not that social enough to hang out at the LDS and go on some local or vac trips with them to dive.

So get some of your friends to try it out and get OWC - they'll love you in the end when their broke. :maniac:

hehe....

Reasons that I hear from my friends and coworkers are these:

1) Hated cold water. I know a number of people that got certified but hated the cold. Many did some tropical dives, and that was the end of cold water diving. I have friends that used to go twice a year to warm waters, but the economic downturn has squelched that, so they haven't gotten wet in a few years. Heck, we know a couple in Florida where the wife won't dive in winter because it is too cold. The water was 84 degrees for goodness sakes, and she said it was too cold!

2) No reliable dive buddies. It is difficult to stay with it when you don't have anyone to share the experiences with. Once you fall out of the habit of diving occasionally, you drift away. I know a LOT of people that "used to dive a long time ago".

3) Other interests and pursuits. This includes SO's and families. A good friend and his wife loved to dive, but starting a family has killed it. A coworker used to dive a LOT, but three kids later, he still gets "wet" but not by diving.

4) Cost -vs- Reward. It gets harder to justify buying the gear if you only dive once a year on vacation, so they just don't stay with it.

5) Hard to restart. Once they stop for a while, it becomes very hard to get started again. One buddy broke an ankle playing hockey, and that forced a stop to diving also. He restarted playing hockey, but he hasn't been underwater in a couple years.

Just my data points from friends, coworkers and club members.

Wristshot

My brother and sister inlaws are certified... divers that is. They don't dive, havent since check out dives. Lack of money and lack of gear keep them holed up. Its sad really...

Thanks for the reply's, Sounds like a lot of legit reasons.

I am hoping I can maintain the interest, due to my circumstances I believe I will.

The family is growing up quick and will be out of school soon so now is as good a time as any to start.

Money is not really an issue at this stage of my life.

I have a camp on Lake Champlain which I have been paying others to tend my moorings so I will beable to do it myself now and the area of my camp has had some artifacts dug up on land so there has to be some items in the lake. Even if there are not it will be fun looking.

That along with a lot of friends that have been begging for me to get certified to dive with them on their carribean vacations should keep my interest alive.

Now if I can just decide on the gear I want.

Thanks again
Scott M

Cobaltbabe-

If you dive and then get pregnant...

If I dive and then get pregnant, I'll have enough money to pay for my two-year dream dive trip around the world!

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom