Rebreather problem in documentary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moneysavr, The Deep Life database is not as unbiased as you might like to think. They have an agenda. Their data is dubious in it's accuracy. The tag line they attach to most things reveals where they are coming from "Deep Life Ltd: For those times when equipment really must work" They are trying to manufacture what they claim to be the safest rebreather design in the world.. So far they have taken a lot of money from people but returned next to nothing in the way of what they have promised.

The person running Deep Life is an "interesting" character, you can read some things about him here Alex Deas - Why we have a hard time believing his claims

<kicks the can back> :)

Oh.....the Apocalypse guy. :wink:

Nice return on the kicked can.

-Mitch

Moneysavr, The Deep Life database is not as unbiased as you might like to think. They have an agenda. Their data is dubious in it's accuracy. The tag line they attach to most things reveals where they are coming from "Deep Life Ltd: For those times when equipment really must work" They are trying to manufacture what they claim to be the safest rebreather design in the world.. So far they have taken a lot of money from people but returned next to nothing in the way of what they have promised.

The person running Deep Life is an "interesting" character, you can read some things about him here Alex Deas - Why we have a hard time believing his claims

<kicks the can back> :)

Plum Bob ,
You got me!
:blinking:
I do agree that they are a purported manufacture of sorts but the data base compiled is a eye opener! with names and dates to substantiate the loss. un skewed data I cant vouch for that, but a lot of data that some sites,boards ect,, seem not to post or dismiss.
As in all information I think you can get some factual data from it or dismisses it if you choose,
IMO.
my 2 cents
!

Just kickin the cat litter now!
:shocked2:

Moneysavr, The Deep Life database is not as unbiased as you might like to think.

Absolutely correct. If you read the document, you will find numerous assumptions and conflicting design requirements. Looks "official" to the non rebreather diver but basically a piece of garbage. Assuming it actually made sense, one size/design does not fit all use cases.

One example... An O2 cell validation document dated 2011 which supposedly validates the performance of specific cells.... The Teledyne R22D cell in particular has not been available for a number of years now. More importantly, rebreather manufacturers have partnered with cell manufacturers to develop specific cells for their units so the samples and associated document is completely irrelevant representing such a small sample of all the cells available and the companies building them.

Another example... Given RB manufacturers in the EU are governed by CE standards, its obvious that these are the standards units are designed and tested against. Design and testing specifications listed on the above website are irrelevent.

Last edited:
I have watched the video, and it gives me a good idea of what was going on with this series of dives. For me, it was very interesting as although I have been diving for fifty years, I have never dived a rebreather. I probably won't, either as I am getting older (66), and have decided after reading these posts to leave this type of diving to the younger guys.

But I do have a few observations. I am a "vintage diver", in that I regularly use a double hose regulator (I have a number), and do enjoy diving solo. I usually dive at the same place in the Clackamas River near Portland, Oregon, and so I know it well. What struck me about the video was that these guys were diving solo, even though they could have dived as a buddy team. I am not a cave diver, although I have been to the Florida caves and dived in the pools a few times years ago. I understand the complications of diving together so far as stirring up the bottom (or top, or sides) of the cave. But the extent of the penetrations that these fellows made was astounding. I understand how the rebreathers can help to extend their times, and allow penetrations that on open circuit would not be possible due to gas/bottle constraints. I thought the thoroughness of checking out the gear, and the field repair, was consistent with good attention to detail that allows this kind of extreme caving to be possible. My hat is off to them.

But, as I said above, this has told me that this is not the type of diving I want to do. My reason for diving is to observe aquatic life, and sometimes to photograph it. The simpler the gear, the better for me. I work in current, and so a rebreather with all that resistance to motion in water is not something I want to have on my body. I appreciate the film, and enjoyed viewing it. But I won't be diving rebreathers anytime soon unless there is a real reason to do so (which I don't foresee).

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom