Rebreather Training...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am trying to end my CCR qwest with a purchase this year, 09. Long overdue btw..

My mind was set on the Evolution, however now I need to wait for this Poseidon unit. For the kind of diving I do this might just be the thing, but I need to test dive it first.

I would never consider buying it without diving it first. I have about 2-3 hours on the Evolution and think its the coolest thing since being certified...if the Poseidon yields the same experience.....I will be more confused.

APD has been around for awhile, plenty of units out there, plenty of bugs corrected...lots of support. I'm not sure if purchasing a new unit without the break in period is wise, especially for a newbie. If I keep that thinking up, I'll never get one. :(

For you fishboy, those two units have been around and dived regularly though.

Not to complicate your life, but if I were buying a new unit later than TODAY! I'd give a hard look at the new Cys-Lunar (Poseidon) and Hollis (Oceanic) units. I've not seen either but I am intrigued by what I've read about them.

have you seen the white paper on the Oxygen control system?

If you do the RB experience and hate RBs don't give up. I have had several people try them and found the time in the pool was not enough to get confortable enough to make an informed decision. The pool experience is a good tool to help you decide but should not be your primary deciding factor.

Dave makes a very valid point. I've read stories about people who actually want to sell their units even after 20 dives because of varying factors, buoyancy etc..but eventually they come around and swear by their units.

I would try working with your instructor to see if you rent a unit to get trained on if they will offset the cost of the rental if you buy it through them. I know some do this. I think its a better option that ebaying a unit later on. If anything it gives you more time on the unit to make a better decision.

I come at it from a slightly different angle: I would love to move across to rebreathers, but the nearest place to service them is a 45 minute plane journey away (plus I have to pass customs and immigration).

But try getting a straight answer to the question: so, which rebreather is easiest to do the majority of the maintenance yourself on...?

Check out the rEvo. They don't have a lot of parts, period. And there seem to be very few proprietary parts outside of the the chassis, scrubber assembly, and monitoring. The rest is off the shelf OC regulator and drager parts. And since it is a manual unit, there is less to maintain, anyway.

have you seen the white paper on the Oxygen control system?
Actually I've not. I've read some of the commentary on it (while I'm interested, I'm not actively in the market for a new CCR). Can you give me link?

The White paper was interesting, but nothing I hadn't gathered already ... a good summary none-the-less. I could not find the videos.

Well, I own both the Optima and Meg rebreathers, so I know you won't be disappointed either way. The good news, is that a used rig holds its value quite well if it is well cared for. A pool session at an Advanced Diver party will not give you enough ammunition to make a choice. Talking to the experts there and listening to the presentations will help a great deal. Unfortunately, when you are a new CCR diver, the only thing you fall in love with is the harness that fits or the counterlungs that are properly trimmed.
Another option is to spend a day with an instructor essentially completing Day One of CCR training on one of their rigs. That will give you a better sense, but the bottom line is to shop for something that will meet your diving objectives down the road and that has good solid testing behind it. Getting a good instructor with real-world experience will be icing on the cake. Good luck with your choice!
Jill Heinerth
Rebreather Pro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom