Rebreather Training...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I made the switch to CCR, I bought my Optima first, then took the class. I liked the Optima a lot, but after a while, I ultimately decided it wasn't for me. I then took a rEvo class, and ended up liking the rEvo much better.

I made the switch due to the rising costs and availability of the EAC (although safe and convenient,) the chest-mounted counterlungs bothered me (the rEvo has back-mounted lungs,) and the fact that I could never get the Optima to trim correctly in a wetsuit.

So I think I may start heading in the rebreather direction later this year. I have narrowed down my choice between the Meg and the Optima, but have yet to decide which (or come up with the money, but that's another issue).

This leads me to my question, did you purchase your rebreather prior to taking your class, or did you wait until after you were trained on the unit?

I have dove the Dolphin/Atlantis a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed then (I know, entirely different machines), but I am still afraid of dropping the $10K investment and then ditching it on e-Bay for half the price.

Hello fishbOy!

You are looking at 2 really nice units! Over here in the Northeast I see a lot of Divers with Megs, KISS Classics and Optimas that are diving there units all of the time and getting in some really nice dives!

I personally feel that any diver who is interested in getting into rebreathers, should tahe 4-5 hours out of their life and do a comprehensive rebreather experience that involves; What is a rebreather?; Unit tear down and assembly (priceless, this is a must see for yourself!); How to do pre dive checks; Breathing on the unit (on land) and getting comfortable with finding a comfortable loop volume (key to being comfortable U/W) and finally, taking the unit on a dive in the pool for a couple of hours!

I have been asked several times if people can take the full CCR Course with out buying a unit. As much as I would like to receive money for the course, my answer is "no", I would hate for someone to shell out $1475 for the course and than not have a rebreather readily available to dive right outside of the course. So I suggest to them to hold off on pursuing training right now until they have the funds to purchase a unit and take the course.

I have seen other divers that have gone the other route (taking the course with out buying a unit) and till this day, they are not diving a CCR and all of that money for the course is down the tubes (unless they have so much disposable income that it doesn't matter)

Good luck with your decision, I hope to see you on a CCR soon enjoying some silent diving!

Cheers

I have been asked several times if people can take the full CCR Course with out buying a unit. As much as I would like to receive money for the course, my answer is "no", I would hate for someone to shell out $1475 for the course and than not have a rebreather readily available to dive right outside of the course. So I suggest to them to hold off on pursuing training right now until they have the funds to purchase a unit and take the course.

This way, if they don't like the unit, they are now out the $1475 for the class, AND the $3-4k for the depreciation of the unit too!

I think scuba dad is right, I do not get the impression that the hammerhead/optima is more likely to have problems than any other eCCR. there are quite a few of them out there with happy owners. that said the majority of major melt downs you hear about, particularly the show stoppers, seem to happen on eCCR's.

g

The experiences of Don Six and netmage are statistical anomalies.... :rofl3:

Hi,

I live and run a Dive and Travel Business in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia and we teach the APD Evolution and Inspiration. We have units for use on course and for rental so you no need to buy before you try. We also support visiting rebreather and technical divers with Nitrox, Trimix and high pressure (200 Bar Oxygen) plus scrubber.

If you have any questions please just ask.

First Rebreather Training Course in Sabah and possibly Borneo!
Congratulations to Ravi Spaarenberg of Sensi Borneo and Dean Lee who have just completed the TDI Advanced Nitrox Course and TDI Closed Circuit Rebreather Course (unit specific APD Evolution / Inspiration) with Borneo Dream in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.

This was the first ever TDI CCR (Closed Circuit Rebreather) course run in Sabah, Borneo. So Ravi Spaarenberg of Sensi Borneo and Dean Lee were making history - by being the first ever Rebreather Divers qualified in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Borneo.

All training was conducted in Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park, near Kota Kinabalu. You can enjoy looking at some photos taken during their course - Picasa Web Albums - Borneo Dream Tour...

The TDI Advanced Nitrox Course trains you in the use of Nitrox (Enriched Air) up to and including 100% Oxygen as part of an accelerated decompression dive.

The TDI Closed Circuit Rebreather (CCR) Course involves using state of the art electronic, microprocessor control rebreathers.

The Ambient Pressure Diving (APD) Limited's Inspiration uses two 3 Litre steel cylinders as standard - one for 100% oxygen, one for Diluent (Air - 21% Oxygen). The Evolution uses two 2 Litre steel cylinders (1 Litre of Oxygen/Minute). Once you have completed your training and gained the necessary experience you have enough Oxygen for 400 minutes of diving on a single fill.

Borneo Dream has TDI Advanced Nitrox Course and TDI Closed Circuit Rebreather Courses booked in for April and May in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Borneo - with some spaces still available. If you are interested in learning to dive on a rebreather then please contact the Borneo Dream team.

Borneo Dream Travel and Tours Sdn Bhd - Company Reg. No. 788821-K
Licensed Malaysian Inbound Tour Operator KPL/LN 5470
F-3-18 Plaza Tanjung Aru, Jalan Mat Salleh, Kota Kinabalu, 88000, Sabah, Malaysia.
H/P: +60 17 817 0071 Tel: +60 88 244 064 Fax: +60 88 244 931 Email: info@borneodream.com

Back
Top Bottom