Rebreather Training...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I think I may start heading in the rebreather direction later this year. I have narrowed down my choice between the Meg and the Optima, but have yet to decide which (or come up with the money, but that's another issue).

This leads me to my question, did you purchase your rebreather prior to taking your class, or did you wait until after you were trained on the unit?

I have dove the Dolphin/Atlantis a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed then (I know, entirely different machines), but I am still afraid of dropping the $10K investment and then ditching it on e-Bay for half the price.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I think your best bet is to do a "try dive". I know Advanced Diver Magazine is sponsoring one in Tampa on the 11th of Jan (may be the 12th). They have 6 or 7 units that they will let you try out. I think they just plug O2 in the Dil and limit depth to 20ft so there is little risk to going hypo/hyperoxic while you try it out. Dive Rite does them pretty often in cave country. And I recall reading about one in your neck of the woods last year. Alternatively, you can find a buddy with the breather you want and beg/bribe them to let you do a pool dive with it. I suppose you could get trained first but that would be an expensive lesson if you don't like the unit.

There is a local rebreather experience here and I was waiting on that before I decided. Unfortunitaly I have one of those jobs (submariner) that I will most likely be out of town when it happens.

Already tried that once. The SEAL (Sleep, Eat And Lounge) I was talking to wasn't the friendliest guy out there... Maybe it was because they were upset having to watch the same movie 3-nights in a row while underway, so I mentioned we should watch G.I. Jane. Apparently the SEALs don't take too kindly to that movie.

Already tried that once. The SEAL (Sleep, Eat And Lounge) I was talking to wasn't the friendliest guy out there... Maybe it was because they were upset having to watch the same movie 3-nights in a row while underway, so I mentioned we should watch G.I. Jane. Apparently the SEALs don't take too kindly to that movie.

Priceless :D

I have just (October) finished my Optima training.
I purchased my unit before the training. It was such a great deal, I could not pass it up. I still have a Dolphin and my OC gear, but this year I expect to be doing virtually all my >50fsw dives on the Optima.
You can probably get a good deal on either a gently (BE CAFEFUL HERE) used unit, or a demo from a dive shop.
Your instructor may have a unit for you to rent/use for your training, it is worth asking. Keep track of what is being sold on Rebreatherworld.com.
Carl

I come at it from a slightly different angle: I would love to move across to rebreathers, but the nearest place to service them is a 45 minute plane journey away (plus I have to pass customs and immigration).

But try getting a straight answer to the question: so, which rebreather is easiest to do the majority of the maintenance yourself on...?

Not to complicate your life, but if I were buying a new unit later than TODAY! I'd give a hard look at the new Cys-Lunar (Poseidon) and Hollis (Oceanic) units. I've not seen either but I am intrigued by what I've read about them.

Back
Top Bottom