Received my new Mares reg, 1st stage is heavy! How does Ti compare?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyscience

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just received my new Mares Prestige 12 regulator and wasn't aware how heavy the 1st stages really are!

How much lighter are the Titanium 1st stages that some regs are made with? (I doubt I'd ever be able to afford one, just wondering)

I assume the S version of this (the shorter 1st stage) is lighter?

Also, my Mares reg didn't come with any port plugs at all? Should I call LP?

And how long does it take before the chrome starts to pit on the 1st stage and is there any way to prevent it? (what causes it? I'll only be warm water reef diving)

The weight of your first stage is not important. You are attaching it to a thirty-something pound tank.
The valve in the tank weighs about what your first stage does. Having a titanium regulator won't make any practical difference.
The person selling titanium regulators might tell you different. ;-)
Along with those that have already bought a titanium regulator. ;-)
-Mitch

Had you bought your reg from a LDS, they probably would have set it up for you and made sure you have sufficient plugs to do what you need to do. Now you're on your own. Try going to your LDS and seeing if they have some plugs for sale.

Had you bought your reg from a LDS, they probably would have set it up for you and made sure you have sufficient plugs to do what you need to do. Now you're on your own. Try going to your LDS and seeing if they have some plugs for sale.

LP had a great sale going on, I couldn't pass it up.

I'm going to call up and voice some concern, I'm sure they do what they can to make me happy and wouldn't just leave me hanging. Being a new customer at all I doubt they would want to put a bad taste in my mouth already...

I called up LP and they were quite surprised no port plugs. They had me a picture and send it over. Im sure they'll make it right. (I hope lol)

3ad9bfd8.jpg

I'm a bit confused, there seem to be plugs in the ports that don't have a hose attached.

I'm a bit confused, there seem to be plugs in the ports that don't have a hose attached.

I thought the plugs needed to be taken out with a wrench? I dont see how anything is removed, let alone with a wrench? Those rings seem almost flush with the 1st stage?

I'm a newbie so I could be getting it confused with the flux capacitor :wink:

They are removed and installed with an "Allen key", often called an "Allen wrench". Your regulator has it's port plugs already installed. You might be better served by having your LDS set up your dive gear for you.

-Mitch

Wow. LP must have been real fast in correcting that missing port plug problem. And you still probably saved quite a bit.

The first stage weight can matter depending on what you need for good trim. But just dropping weight from your reg so you can add it to your belt is silly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom