Recent double hose reg training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Checking the VDH Forum, seems a positive lock on the DSV has been a popular request so Bryan has added a thumbscrew:

The thumbscrew will not LOCK the DSV in either the open or closed position. It simply creates more tension and requires more effort to twist it open or closed.

The "NEW Science of Skin & SCUBA" was produced in 1960 to about 1974 -58 & 44 years ago...

My initial open water course (1986, Univ of Missouri scuba course, a semester-long PE course) used "The New Science ..." as one of its textbooks. I purchased a new copy for the course. Can't recall the edition, though.

ETA: My scuba course used both single hose and double hose regulators. I had the pleasure of teaching my teenaged daughters DH basics a couple of summers ago in my parents' backyard swimming pool. We were using an upgraded U.S. Divers DA Aquamaster I had recently purchased from one of the regulars on the VDH site. Not difficult for them to learn--even the buddy breathing part.

rx7diver

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of teaching my teenaged daughters DH basics...

Here's a pic. I thought I had already posted this here. Can't seem to find it, though. August 2016. One of my twins. We had arrived at the Stillhouse Hollow Lake marina in Central TX, to get our rented Al 63 refilled. My girls liked my DH regulator even more than they liked my Scubapro Mk 10 + D400!

rx7diver

Attachments

• IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Sam Miller III said:
The "NEW Science of Skin & SCUBA" was produced in 1960 to about 1974 -58 & 44 years ago...

1986, Univ of Missouri scuba course, a semester-long PE course) used "The New Science ..." as one of its textbooks. I purchased a new copy for the course. Can't recall the edition, though.

My copy of "NEW Science of Skin & SCUBA Diving" is from 1962, when I used it to learn to dive my dad's Nimrod double hose.

It has this as far as dates go:

Copyright 1957, 1959, and 1962.

Revised Edition, 1962

SEI Diving / History of Scuba
Shortly following World War II, a wide interest in skin and scuba diving developed in the United States. Small independent groups of divers sprang up in organized clubs all over the country. In 1954, a group of YMCA, Red Cross, and National Academy of Sciences experts encouraged the Council for National Cooperation in Aquatics (CNCA) to take a look at the safety aspect of this engaging and rapidly growing activity.

Material was outlined with a view toward setting up a course inclusive enough to produce capable performance in those who elect to participate in this recreational activity. Through the winter of 1954-1955 a test course was directed by Bernard E. Empleton using this outline.

The material used in the course was then published as a textbook in 1957 under the title, "The Science of Skin and Scuba Diving". This text became "The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving" in the second edition and ultimately went through six editions used by many agencies for over 15 years.

Bob

My copy of "NEW Science of Skin & SCUBA Diving" is from 1962

I think my copy has a latest copyright date of 1968; reprinted in 1970. It has plenty of double hose diving procedures and a suggested training program. Therefore it would be suitable read for someone looking for a double hose instruction manual. It was not the manual I learned to dive with. The book we used in my 1974 (PADI) class was "Diving for Fun," by Joe Strykowski. I don't have it anymore, so I cannot recommend it for or against; however I do remember double hose regulators being discussed.

I think my copy has a latest copyright date of 1968; reprinted in 1970. It has plenty of double hose diving procedures and a suggested training program. Therefore it would be suitable read for someone looking for a double hose instruction manual. It was not the manual I learned to dive with. The book we used in my 1974 (PADI) class was "Diving for Fun," by Joe Strykowski. I don't have it anymore, so I cannot recommend it for or against; however I do remember double hose regulators being discussed.

Enjoying these replies and recollections of where we started out.

Here's the book you mentioned for ten bucks:
Diving for Fun: Joe Strykowski, Ernie Duerksen: Amazon.com: Books

When I certified in 88-89, the New Science text had dropped any DH. I recently obtained a number of various texts that were earlier editions which covered DH diving. I also find it so enjoyable the discussions of maintenance and self service - oh the horror!

Any training manuals from the '50's and into the 70's would probably have information about double hose diving as they were the predominant reg during that time. As the single hose regs took over the market, the training materials dropped the double hose portion. Interesting as Nemrod was still making their double hose into the '90's.

Bob

My copy of "NEW Science of Skin & SCUBA Diving" is from 1962...

Many of my books are still packed in boxes in my garage, from a move a couple of years ago. But, I just braved the Missouri heat and humidity and searched and finally located my copy of "The New Science...". It is the 6th Edition, copyright date [1957, 1962, 1974, 1980, and] 1985. (As mentioned, I purchased my copy new in the summer of 1986.)

Interestingly, one of its first pages shows a gentleman's photo under which is the inscription, 'Bernard E Empleton -- "The father of recreational diving instruction in the United States".'

My course used a second textbook, too. I haven't located it yet, and I don't recall the author, but I remember it was a large format paperback that had a Scubapro badge on the front, and a lot of the photos in it showed Scubapro gear.

One more thing: About a dozen years ago I changed houses in this central Missouri town. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that my new next door neighbor happened to be the long retired Univ of Missouri physician who had given many of us Univ of Missouri scuba students our scuba physicals. Years before I first met him, he had taken the same scuba course I was about to take in 1986, and he had taken several trips (Florida Keys, Grand Cayman Island, Missouri/Arkansas freshwater lakes) with the scuba class.

When the doctor passed away a couple years after I became his neighbor, his widow gave me his scuba textbooks. I just came across one of them when I was searching for my copy of "The New Science...". This textbook, by Robert R. Springer, is titled "Skin & Scuba Diver's Digest -- Fundamentals, Techniques, Equipment for Novice and Expert," and has copyright date MCMLXXV [1975]. Interestingly, this book contains relatively little treatment of double hose regulators--though it has several pictures and illustrations of divers diving them.

rx7diver

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom