Recent double hose reg training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I taught myself. It's not rocket science. I have an octo on mine because I'm under no false assumptions that any of my dive buddies would be able to buddy breathe a double hose.

I know the NEW Science of Skin & SCUBA was used in 1968 at the Fall River, Ma YMCA by M&S Divers operated Robert Mercer and Glen Shoesmith. I still have my copy.
Hey there's a picture from it!

Buddy breathing 001.jpg

I have an octo on mine because I'm under no false assumptions that any of my dive buddies would be able to buddy breathe a double hose.

There's also the issue that donating a double hose puts them so close that you can barely see what is going on around you. Try buddy breathing for confirmation why double hose regulators have fallen from favor in the mass market. At the other extreme, I'm not fond of donating an octo on a 7' hose to someone of unknown skill and panic resistance. I prefer keeping divers on a short leash during a crisis -- at least when they are bound to me.

@TrimixToo
stated:
I'm pretty close to the same age, Sam, and it was the textbook for the YMCA OW course in 1972 when I was first certified.

John
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How wonderful John ! You were certified in 1972

In 1972 The N EW Science of Skin and SCUBA was still being printed -- note my post
The science of Skin and SCUBA was only printed for two years --there was a huge difference n the books

FYI
I completed my USAF obligation to Uncle Sam in 1956.
I teamed up with Harry Vetter,( LA Co UW instructor and later NAUI Instructor #4) and we took over the training at he Long Beach YMCA from the late Doc Matheson ( See SDM VOL ! NR 1 cover & the late Rory Page of Hope- Page Non return mouth piece - read my article Hope Springs Eternal HDS journal of diving about 25 + years ago)

We used the 1954 LA Co UW instruction manual Underwater Recreation by the late great Bev Morgan. ( see Passing on this board and several articles about Bev)

The Science of Skin and SCUBA had been published by never got a toe hold in the west were diving was concentered

There were very few dive shops out side of the borders of California at that time -- Most who were interested in diving obtained their equipment via mail order from Sears (1956 to 1974). .Wards (1957 to 1974) and Pennys (1970 to1974)
Sears offered the late ER Cross's instruction book and Wards offered the late Ray Hoagland's book.
However, I note many who waited for God to fill up a mud hole before they could dive never mention these retailers as a source of equipment or the books as a source of self taught training

interesting isn't it ?

SDM

@TrimixToo
stated:
I'm pretty close to the same age, Sam, and it was the textbook for the YMCA OW course in 1972 when I was first certified.

John
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How wonderful John ! You were certified in 1972

In 1972 The N EW Science of Skin and SCUBA was still being printed -- note my post
The science of Skin and SCUBA was only printed for two years --there was a huge difference n the books

FYI
I completed my USAF obligation to Uncle Sam in 1956.
I teamed up with Harry Vetter,( LA Co UW instructor and later NAUI Instructor #4) and we took over the training at he Long Beach YMCA from the late Doc Matheson ( See SDM VOL ! NR 1 cover & the late Rory Page of Hope- Page Non return mouth piece - read my article Hope Springs Eternal HDS journal of diving about 25 + years ago)

We used the 1954 LA Co UW instruction manual Underwater Recreation by the late great Bev Morgan. ( see Passing on this board and several articles about Bev)

The Science of Skin and SCUBA had been published by never got a toe hold in the west were diving was concentered

There were very few dive shops out side of the borders of California at that time -- Most who were interested in diving obtained their equipment via mail order from Sears (1956 to 1974). .Wards (1957 to 1974) and Pennys (1970 to1974)
Sears offered the late ER Cross's instruction book and Wards offered the late Ray Hoagland's book.
However, I note many who waited for God to fill up a mud hole before they could dive never mention these retailers as a source of equipment or the books as a source of self taught training

interesting isn't it ?

SDM

Yep. Lots has changed since then, mostly for the better. I should have been more specific, though. Our text was The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving. If I get to it this weekend I'll pull it out and check the copyright date.

In addition to learning from videos and reading, a few people over on the VDH forum wrote up a vintage diving destictive specialty.

@TrimixToo Too
Yep. Lots has changed since then, mostly for the better. I should have been more specific, though. Our text was The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving. If I get to it this weekend I'll pull it out and check the copyright date.

John

.Did you have a local dive shop at that time ? and ever more precise are they still in business?

SDM

@Tug
" In addition to learning from videos and reading, a few people over on the VDH forum wrote up a vintage diving destictive specialty. "

And you believe in the easter bunny and Santa Claus....

Like most not of the era, I am self taught.
Read up on it, practiced in somewhat benign conditions.
Then the real problem begins...you want more than just one, then, if a full dose of kool aid is taken, you venture into full vintage gear...no bc etc.
Ymmv

ETA solo diver here

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom