Recently bought a speargun - thought this may be worth posting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Caution - pretty nasty accident.

I don't know exactly what happened but I can guess -

Don't point a loaded speargun at or near a person.
Look beyond your target before you fire - make sure you know what you are shooting at...
Never rely on the safety to prevent the discharge of your speargun.

I've handled and used guns since I was a boy and have safe handling deeply embedded in my reflexes. IME many divers suck at realising that a speargun is a gun (duh!) and don't know diddly squat about safe gun handling.

looks like shot in neck came out shoulder .and storker you are right a gun is a gun no matter what bb guns can take an eye out spear gun can shoot you in neck bazooka can blow you up the list goes on

That would suck. Looks to me like the spear entered the right side and came out by his neck. Looks like the speartip was removed (or was never there) after the accident. Angle could have come from an errant shot, but I'm thinking it's likely an accidental discharge while on the boat.

Definitely agree. Treat it like a firearm with one exception. Speargun should never be in loaded and cocked condition while topside.

Treat it like a firearm with one exception. Speargun should never be in loaded and cocked condition while topside.
In which occasions is it acceptable to carry a firearm loaded and cocked? Except at the range in front of the targets, or at the stand?

In which occasions is it acceptable to carry a firearm loaded and cocked? Except at the range in front of the targets, or at the stand?
when you are actually hunting walking looking for prey but always have your muzzle pointed at the ground away from others

I always harry my 1911 cocked while holstered on safe my striker fired or double action pistols are carried chambered holstered and off safe (if it has one)

As far as spearguns I get blinded by too many flashlights diving with people to trust them with spearguns.

when you are actually hunting walking looking for prey but always have your muzzle pointed at the ground away from others
Forgot to list that situation, thanks.

I carry a Glock. It's always carried with a full mag and a round in the chamber. It's in ready to fire position always. Basically, I pull the trigger and it will fire. Glock has auto safeties, but no external manual safety.

My point was this looks to me like it could have been a topside accident. The amount of penetration is quite severe. The spear will travel pretty far in air, but in water it quickly loses power. So this doesn't look to me like it could have been a case where someone was shooting at a fish and the diver was in the background.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom