Recently bought a speargun - thought this may be worth posting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking it's likely an accidental discharge
...for which there is no excuse. Triply so if someone gets hurt by your idiocy. Because that means that you're a moron and don't know squat about safe gun handling. If you do, even an accidental a negligent discharge shouldn't bear worse consequences than a bruised ego

...for which there is no excuse. Triply so if someone gets hurt by your idiocy. Because that means that you're a moron and don't know squat about safe gun handling. If you do, even an accidental negligent discharge shouldn't bear worse consequences than a bruised ego
Agreed. Poor choice of words on my part. Negligent discharge is the appropriate term. In no circumstances should a speargun be ready to fire while the gun is out of the water. Things get knocked around and bad things can happen.

Gun can have a shaft in place when you splash, but bands not pulled. When boarding it's the opposite. Band(s) are unloaded when beginning ascent (or during safety stop). In any case, gun with loose bands is handed to someone topside. Most boats prefer gun handed to mate handle first, but some prefer it the other way. On my boat it's always handle first.

No you can't have a Red Ryder BB gun! You'll shoot your eye out!

If I dive with someone with a spear gun, he best be swimmimg ahead of me and never turn my way or I'm going to be owning a new speargun:wink:

...for which there is no excuse. Triply so if someone gets hurt by your idiocy. Because that means that you're a moron and don't know squat about safe gun handling. If you do, even an accidental a negligent discharge shouldn't bear worse consequences than a bruised ego

Do you know much about spear fishing? You are referring to people as morons and go on to indicate that an accidental discharge of a speargun shouldn't cause anything more than a bruised ego. Your comments (in this hunting forum) lead me to suspect that you have not handled (spear) guns much. Have you?

Your comments (in this hunting forum) lead me to suspect that you have not handled (spear) guns much. Have you?

See post #3:
I've handled and used guns since I was a boy and have safe handling deeply embedded in my reflexes. IME many divers suck at realising that a speargun is a gun (duh!) and don't know diddly squat about safe gun handling.

As a responsible gun owner, I'm definitely of the opinion that a negligent discharge should lead to a seriously bruised ego, because a negligent discharge should never happen. If it does, you've broken the rules for safe gun handling. It's that simple. If your negligent discharge causes physical injury, you have demonstrated very clearly that you aren't capable of handling a gun.

And yes, I'm guilty of having caused a negligent discharge. Once during the 40 years that I've handled and used guns. It was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life, and I changed some of my routines for gun handling after that. However, since the gun of course was pointed in a safe direction, the only injury was to my ego.

Thanks, but you didn't answer any of my questions about spearguns. Have you used them?

Thanks, but you didn't answer any of my questions about spearguns.
In that case I guess you'll have to actually ask some questions about spearguns. I only saw a question about having used a (spear)gun - which I read as "a speargun or another gun" - and if I knew much about spearfishing.

Have you used Spearguns? Do you know about Spearguns? You have used some strong language referencing idiots and morons, I think it was.

Just trying to determine how you might have developed such strong opinions on the topic of spearfishing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom