Recife, Brazil. Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joaozinho

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be in Recife, Brazil next week for a couple of days and was wondering if anyone has dived there? I will only be in Recife and won't have time to go anywhere else.

Can anyone tell me about temperature, visibility, if there is much fishlife, best sites and best dive outfit? It doesn't look like the cheapest place to dive from prices I've seen on the internet (I'll have to rent all the gear) so I want to know if it will be worth it before deciding to dive or not.

Thank you.

Well, no-one answered but I went anyway so here's a quick report for furture reference.

I used Aquaticos (www.aquaticos.com.br). Cost was about US$80 including all the gear for 2 shipwreck dives, the Servemar I and Pirapama (http://www.brasilmergulho.com/port/naufragios/navios/pe/pirapama.shtml and http://www.brasilmergulho.com/port/naufragios/navios/pe/servemar1.shtml). All the dives in Recife are wrecks, no reef to see despite the city's name.

The ride out to the Servemar took about an hour as the boat was pretty slow and the sea choppy (2 people were seasick). A dolphin surfaced a few feet from the boat once we got to the start point but by the time everyone was organised to get into the water it was long gone. The group size (about 17 of us including instructors) meant getting in and out of the water was a bit of a chore and involved swallowing a fair amount of sea water while waiting on the line at the start (no snorkels provided in the gear hire which is not good in choppy waters if you want to save on air). Servemar is at about 75ft down (not sure exactly as no depth gage was provided either so had to stick by the divemaster and depend on him for the safety stop), bottom time 25 minutes. Visibility OK. The wreck is a tug boat, almost intact. Big shoals of striped grunts (they called them xiras), glassy sweepers (barrigudinhos) and some kind of soldierfish (mariquitas) around the bridge, a nurse shark sleeping by the hull. A few spanish hogfish, porkfish, big french angelfish and surgeonfish. Only sand round about so you are limited to a fairly small area and just swim around the wreck 3 times.

The second wreck, Pirapama was a much bigger, 100 year old wreck but not in such good shape. Visibility was pretty poor but manageable (sorry, not very good at estimating visibility in feet). Depth about 75ft again. Big highlight was 3 or 4 of the biggest stingrays I have seen, calmly swimming around the wreck, passing a few feet away. They stayed around the whole 20 minutes. 2 huge cobia (local name beijupira) zoomed past at one point. Slightly less fish than on first dive but would have preferred more time at this site than the first one.

In case you're worried, despite Recife having a bad reputation for tiger shark attacks, they tend to eat surfers and the divemaster said he had never seen one in all his time diving.

Overall it was worth it as I was in town anyway. Different kind of diving from what I am used to in the Colombian Caribbean. Bigger boat which had its advantages and disadvantages compared to the little launches I normally go with.

Thanks for the report, do you know how far Recife is from Rio. I am currently working offshore from Macae, but will be hanging out after the job from April 11- 19th in between the company apartment in Barra Tijuca and friends place in Niteroi. Trying to find a cool place to go myself. The client I am working with is from Rio and is a technical diver and made some recommendations but he won't be able to accompany me as he will still be on the ship representing Petrobras.
Oh luckily I was planning a dive trip to immediatly after this trip so I have my own dive gear and wont be depending on dive operators for anything but tanks. The rep told me that Brasil operators almost always use Yoke valves is this correct?
Thanks,
Eric Quirk

Recife is about a 3 hour direct flight by plane from Rio or Sao Paulo by Varig or TAM. You could get there fairly cheaply by using Gol airline www.voegl.com.br but their flights tend to stop a lot on the way. At least at the dive school I used in Recife they used yoke valves.

Recife is also the point of departure for flights to Fernando Noronha which is supposed to be the best place to dive in Brazil (you can't get there direct from Rio).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom