Recomendations for SCUBA fins that meet carry-on regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking of using a mesh bag with a drawstring for a carry-on. Saves a lot on weight and can be put into almost any shape/size required, depending on what's inside.

I know that Sherwood Tritons are close to 22" but am not sure about all sizes.

8 years ago when we were diving in Costa Rica there was a Japanese diver on the boat. He had the most unusual fins I've ever seen. In fact, this was the one and only time I've seen such fins.

His fins were made of rigid semi-transparent plastic, orange-red in color. Imagine a fin as a plastic plate maybe 20"x5", reenforced with stainless steel so it is completely inflexible. The end of the plate is T-shaped, and the side ends of the T are bent down almost into a circle maybe 6"-7" in diameter, leaving a gap of about 2" between them. At least, I remember his fins as I described. The diver claimed that these fins gave terrific kick. I do not remember if we discussed if his fins did fit into a carry-on, but I reckon they should.

I've never had an issue carrying on my fins I usually take a set of freediving long fins with my if I will be diving in current they are well over 22". I have a padded fin bag that carries as a back pack and it fits in the back of the overhead and can still put a back pack in front of it. I don't like to check them because they are carbon fiber and I've watched luggage handlers load a plane!

XL Jetfins are 21.75.
And they don't break unexpectedly.
Actually, good luck hurting them without a razor knife or power tools so a used pair is as good as a new pair....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom