Recommend BC for minimalist diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For warm water dive travel something like a Zeagle Express Tech with a basic harness (no padding etc.) or most any bp/w with a fiber plate and a small wing. For travel you can always add lead when you get there either in a belt or a couple of weight pockets you can mount on the harness and/or cam bands. It travels light and you can expand or contract as needed as long as you don't cut the webbing too short. :) If you're talking cold water...you're on your own. brrr :eek:

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

I am purchasing the aqualung zuna today.
I am down to diving with 2 pounds/steel 80 and just want to give the lesser profile bcd a shot

The Dive Rite Hydro Lite seems to meet your specs.

Part of the attraction of BP&W is that steel backplate provides 5-6 pounds of ballast that you don't have to stuff in your pockets and pouches. You lose that advantage with "soft plate" systems like that one.

Part of the attraction of BP&W is that steel backplate provides 5-6 pounds of ballast that you don't have to stuff in your pockets and pouches. You lose that advantage with "soft plate" systems like that one.

I understand that.
He specifically asked for a bc that is light weight and easy to pack for travel. That's exactly what I suggested to him.
He didn't say he had a problem finding places to put all the lead he thinks he needs: you and Barnaby's dad are solving a problem other than the one he asked help with.

I understand that.
He specifically asked for a bc that is light weight and easy to pack for travel. That's exactly what I suggested to him.
He didn't say he had a problem finding places to put all the lead he thinks he needs: you and Barnaby's dad are solving a problem other than the one he asked help with.

A "close-ended" question is when you already know 70-90% of the answer and are asking for clarification or validation. An "open-ended" question is when you ask for information, a "bigger picture". I'm not certain that OP's question was of the former kind.

A "close-ended" question is when you already know 70-90% of the answer and are asking for clarification or validation. An "open-ended" question is when you ask for information, a "bigger picture". I'm not certain that OP's question was of the former kind.

Yes, yes. We understand that to informed readers like you every bc question is really a cry for help from someone who needs to be brought to an enlightened understanding of his need for BPW.

Thank you for lifting this jacket style bc user from the darkness of ignorance and despair and disapproval from SB’s equipment fundamentalists.

”Yes. You’re very smart. Shut up.”
—Peter Falk, the grandfather in Princess Bride.

As a former reference librarian, I will add that most people have a difficult time formulating complex questions.

Librarians actually have more or less formalized strategies for dealing with the gap between what people ask for and what they really need which we collectively refer to as the "reference interview". For example, The Reference Interview – Staff Website – U of I Library

I try to go through the same process when answering questions here. If it's super specific, I'll just answer it. But if the question suggests a possible lack of knowledge of useful alternatives, then I may well expand the answer to at least introduce the possibilities. After all it's very difficult to ask about something you've never heard of or didn't realize was relevant to your situation.

I understand that.

That’s also exactly what we suggested.

He specifically had a concern about the extra weight that he has to put on his belt now. He’d need less additional weight if he ditched a heavily padded BC and went to a BP/W. They pack up compact and relatively light (with an aluminum or lightweight SS plate) for travel, as well.

How was that recommendation not directly addressing the problem that the OP shared?

Not everyone likes BP/W’s. I get it, but from a ability to shed extra dive weights standpoint, they’re great. That and they don’t take up much space.

Even being a big guy...I only need 2lbs of extra weight with a 3mm in fresh water. That makes shore dives (often a 100’+ walk) a lot better than the alternative for some folks that have to pile on the weight because of their chosen BC or BP/W setup.

Yes, yes. We understand that it informed readers like you every bc question is really a cry for help from someone who needs to be brought to an enlightened understanding of his need for BPW.

As opposed to recommending them a BP&W with soft P permanently stitched to the W? Could've at least gone with Outlaw, it's customizable and a good hundred bucks cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom