Recommend BC for minimalist diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None of you guys see anything a teensy bit presumptuous in starting your response to a question with the belief that you have a better idea than your interlocutor as to what question he really wants answered?*

Not even when OP makes his living as a technician for commercial diving and has more than a thousand dives under his belt?**

You really don't think that if his goal was to get rid of his weight belt he would have phrased the question a little differently?***

* This is not a complex or open-ended question.
** Neither is this.
*** Nor is this.

Hi

I have discovered now that when I do dive, because of my weight gain over the past 12 months, I now need 10kg of weight around the weight belt and I am trying to find a BC that is minimalist and light weight and not difficult to pack for trips for a large sized man. The current BC I have is too big and I think given the weight gain, I need to cut down on the size of BC I am using for ease of use during dives.

Any suggestions?

None of you guys see anything a teensy bit presumptuous in starting your response to a question with the belief that you have a better idea than your interlocutor as to what question he really wants answered?*

Not even when OP makes his living as a technician for commercial diving and has more than a thousand dives under his belt?**

You really don't think that if his goal was to get rid of his weight belt he would have phrased the question a little differently?***

I've included the original post.

This looks exactly like the sort of question I used to get asked at the reference desk. A lot of people, men especially, have difficultly admitting they don't know what they are looking for. So they phrase their question in the form of a proposed solution.

The way I read it, they key to the original post was the last part, "I think given the weight gain, I need to cut down on the size of BC I am using for ease of use during dives.

Any suggestions?
"

That's pretty open-ended.

BTW, a commercial dive tech doesn't necessarily knows that much about recreational scuba. Saturation and surface supplied diving is a whole different world.

As to the 1,000 dives. Given the other clues in the post, such as "needing" 10 kilos of lead in presumably tropical waters and the hesitancy in which the question was asked, I think it's reasonable to accept the possibility that the amount of varied experience may be much lower than the number of dives.

Let's put it this way, if the post had been something like the following, the responses would have been very different:
"Looking for a minimalist travel BCD. Not interested in a BP/W. Found the [Transpac/Biolite/Seac Trip]. Any thoughts?"

** Neither is this.
*** Nor is this.

I did not say get rid of weight belt. If you look back at my original post...I said get rid of some weight from OPs weight belt. It’s a simple fact...get rid of padded positively buoyant material and you need less weight on your belt, in your weight pouches, or however you want to put it.

In my current occupation, I field a LOT of questions from people that don’t necessarily know exactly what they need. They ask a question that provides a rough estimation of the output product that they need. It’s up to me to fill in the blanks based upon 10+ years of experience. That’s exactly how I approached this question.

Is it possible that my response is absolutely not what the OP was looking for? Yes. However, it’s also possible that the response was of some value. If not to the OP...maybe to someone else that stumbled into the thread.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please stick to the topic and do not bicker amongst yourselves

Diving Thursday or Friday with the new zuma bc, will give a lil update

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom