Recommend me a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would anyone would pay $300 more for the Peregrine TX instead of the LUNA 2.0 AI?

Nothing in Peregrine that justifies the extra cost other than bragging rights or herd mentality.
The Luna 2.0 Air does not run basic Buhlmann with GF. It is also missing many other features of Peregrine TX. It is not even a contest.

Why would anyone would pay $300 more for the Peregrine TX instead of the LUNA 2.0 AI?

Nothing in Peregrine that justifies the extra cost other than bragging rights or herd mentality.
One uses the industry standard transmitter and has a compass, selectable gradient factors, and the ability to display SurfGF or a tissue saturation graph. The other looks like a cheap kid's toy.

The Luna 2.0 Air does not run basic Buhlmann with GF. It is also missing many other features of Peregrine TX. It is not even a contest.

One uses the industry standard transmitter and has a compass, selectable gradient factors, and the ability to display SurfGF or a tissue saturation graph. The other looks like a cheap kid's toy.

This is the BIGGEST load of fish manure, so incredibly misleading.

The LUNA 2.0 AI is dual algorithm dive computer: "Choice of 2 Algorithms: Predictive Multi-Gas Buhlmann ZH-L16 ADT MB PMG or ZH-L16+GF (Gradient Factor)"

The other features you mention are irrelevant to the normal diver. In fact, they are NOT worth $300.

Guys, you are misleading the novice and the uninformed.

If the OP has money burning his pockets, he should take a serious look at the Scubapro HUD (if navigation is critical for him) or, the BEST value, a Ratio iX3M 2 Pro. The Ratio iX3M 2 Pro is for about the same, or little less, money than the Peregrine TX with LOTS of more features including the ability to upgrade the feature set in the iX3M 2 Pro to become a more "technical" dive computer in the future. Try to do that with the Peregrine TX, you have to throw away the unit and buy another dive computer. The Peregrine TX is a very expensive dive computer for what it offers that caters to the "Boutique" crowds.

Read this: Ratio iX3M 2 Pro Dive Computer | Air Integrated

Yeah, I know that it easy to spend other people's money and to appear as "chic" but this is just way too much.

Come on! Shearwater's track record of customer support. Reviews of the Luna 2.0 agree it has a dull display. Does it have surfacing gradient factor (I couldn't determine).

Buy once, cry once.

You are practically on the SP advertising payroll though ... LOL

Come on! Shearwater's track record of customer support. Reviews of the Luna 2.0 agree it has a dull display. Does it have surfacing gradient factor (I couldn't determine).

Buy once, cry once.

Are you buying the dive computer to display information for you or to stare at it for entertainment? Have you used one? I have, for a short dive, and it is very easy to read and very bright even in sunny conditions. No complaints at all. Again, nothing in the Peregrine TX warrants the $300 extra at all.

I am the first who will be eager to spend more money for something that is actually worth it and is useful but this is 300 freaking dollars for nothing important for the average recreational diver.

For $300 more, I'd spend it on the Ratio or the HUD that offer a lot more than the $300 in value and features.

We have the new Peregrine TX in stock and ready to ship.

This is the direction I would go hands down. We also sell the Luna 2.0 as mentioned but you can’t beat Shearwater for customer service and post sales support.

We also sell the Luna 2.0 as mentioned but you can’t beat Shearwater for customer service and post sales support.

So one is paying the $300 extra for this customer service and post sales support? Why is it needed? Are their computer so unreliable that you need to pay a premium in advance so that you get support? And, of course you would go this direction since you will be making much more profit in this deal.

FYI, I have been using Scubapro, among others, since circa 1995 and they have ALWAYS taken care of me, my customers and students in the rare occasions there was a need for the mfg's support. In fact, I have a case now where one of my former students had an issue with his old SP dive computer but SP decided to offer him their newest dive computer, with loads of new features, for a token price. The shipping charges were more than what he had to pay to upgrade. The issue with the old dive computer is attributed to him but SP still took good care of him.

So one is paying the $300 extra for this customer service and post sales support? Why is it needed? Are their computer so unreliable that you need to pay a premium in advance so that you get support? And, of course you would go this direction since you will be making much more profit in this deal.

FYI, I have been using Scubapro, among others, since circa 1995 and they have ALWAYS taken care of me, my customers and students in the rare occasions there was a need for the mfg's support. In fact, I have a case now where one of my former students had an issue with his old SP dive computer but SP decided to offer him their newest dive computer, with loads of new features, for a token price. The shipping charges were more than what he had to pay to upgrade. The issue with the old dive computer is attributed to him but SP still took good care of him.

Actually I would make more money selling him the Scubapro computer and transmitter but thanks for playing.

Also not sure where you get the $300 difference. The Peregrine TX with transmitter is $1000 the LUNA 2.0 with transmitter is $923.

The shearwater product is a superior dive computer.

The Peregrine TX with transmitter is $1000 the LUNA 2.0 with transmitter is $923.

The LUNA 2.0 AI alone is $430

The Transmitter Smart + Pro alone is $315

According to my limited math skills: $430 + $315 = $745.00. This price reflects À la carte price not a bundle price. Bundle price will be less expensive.

You are also neglecting what I said about the Ratio iX3M 2 Pro.

And you accuse us of a ‘herd mentality’? Pot calling the kettle black.

ScubaPro makes great regs but they’re out of their league when it comes to computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom