Recommendations for family trip to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,
Since I can't get flights to Maui using my ff miles, I've decided to take the family to Roatan.
I have visited Roatan 4 times - 3 at Fantasy Island and 1 at the Inn of Last Resort. Those were dive trips.
This time, I'm traveling with my family which includes my wife (non-diver), 11 year old daughter (non-diver) and my 16 year old daughter (diver). So, obviously this will not be a dive trip, but rather a trip with diving. We'll want to spend time doing things like zip lines, horseback riding, tours, etc.
Cash is at a premium (we hadnt planned to pay for accommodations on Maui since we have a timeshare there, so now we have to pay for accommodations on Roatan).
We're looking for a place as follows:
1) Nice beach for swimming and maybe snorkeling
2) Accommodations with preferably 2 bedrooms- and preferably 2 beds for the kids in the second bedroom
3) Full kitchen
4) West Bay or West End area (thinking West Bay is preferable due to the beach)
5) Short distance from dive ops
6) Free kayak use (a plus)
7) reasonable (cheap) price

As I said, my needs are different on a family trip than a dive trip. We'd like to do as much diving as we can afford along with the other activities. Not exactly sure what that will boil down to at this point.

Someone recommended Posada - any thoughts/recommendations/cautions for us in light of this being a family trip?

Any suggestions as to places to stay?

Thanks in advance.

That guy that recommended Posoda really knows his sheet :wink:

@Sloeber - yeah, I wonder who made that recommendation - actually they unfortunately don't have their 2 bedroom apartment available so I was looking now for an alternative as Posada Arco Iris was at the top of my list so far.
@Rainer - looking at Bananarama also, not sure if they have rooms that will accommodate all of us comfortably - but looking at that one too.
Thanks.

@Rainer - looking at Bananarama also, not sure if they have rooms that will accommodate all of us comfortably - but looking at that one too.
Thanks.

We had three beds. One full bedroom downstairs, one upstairs loft, and one person on a futon downstairs. The unit did not have a kitchen, however (not sure if others there do). Honestly, other than sleeping, we were almost never indoors. :)

Check out the VRBO site for Roatan. Lots of good deals on West Bay Beach.

Most of the rooms on the Bananarama side don't have a full kitchen, however the ones at the Island Pearl do. That being said, since cash is a premium, it may be over budget. I second the idea of vrbo.com, there's quite a few condos that might fit the bill (quite a few of them are in Infinity Bay).

I agree with Shawnda about the VRBO site. Options are listed for many different areas of the island, and they look great. I will keep this in mind for the future...

Might check out Casa de paradise, very nice place to stay (rental property) you only pay for what you do. I know the owner and his family personally, it is a wonderful place to stay close to dive resorts and restaurants. The beach is only footsteps away. If you wish, you can even go to store and prepare your own meals. Check out the website!

Roatan Vacation Rentals Honduras | Beach House, Villa, Studio and Apartment Rental

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom