Recommendations for Fort Myers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LobstaMan

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My brother and I are going down to see the World Champion Boston Red Sox(never thought I'd be able to say that!) at Spring Training in Fort Myers in March. Also, would like to get a day of diving in. I've been surfing the web and searching the SB forums, but need some specific help. Are we better off driving to dive the springs farther up North or driving acorss Florida to the East Coast to dive the Atlantic Ocean? It doesn't seem like this is the time of year to dive the Gulf, but correct me if I'm wrong. Also, we're looking for some advise on a Fort Myers hotel not too far from the airport or the ballppark. We'll have a car, I guess we could stay outside of Ft. Myers if much cheaper. Thanks in advance.

Unless you are familiar with Gulf diving I would recommend the drive to Fort Lauderdale. It's only about 2 hours 15 minutes and the water is warmer and clearer. I have several suggestions for operators if you are interested in the Fort Lauderdale dives.

Nelson

The ball park isn't close to the airport (the Twins play much closer to the airport), so you'll need to decide where you'd rather be.

It's a great time of year to dive the Gulf, if you can handle the cold. It's advanced diving, so if you are a beginner, travel to the east coast.

This may be a silly question, but why is it more advanced dive? Currents or what? I am taking my daughter down for referral diving, doing Crystal River, then east West Palm for certification. We were also going to Ft Myers, thought about going out of there if she wants to. Obviously she isn't advanced. Would you suggest not because of her?

Walter:
The ball park isn't close to the airport (the Twins play much closer to the airport), so you'll need to decide where you'd rather be.

It's a great time of year to dive the Gulf, if you can handle the cold. It's advanced diving, so if you are a beginner, travel to the east coast.

First, it's a long boat ride, the better sites are 20+ miles offshore. Second, visibility is iffy. While I've seen visibility in the Gulf that rivals any place in the world, that's by far the exception and not the rule. Visibility is usually low - 15 - 20 feet, often less, frequently much less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom