recommendations ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dseiden

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
for a local (or semi-local) dive site for a first salt water dive? I am dying to dive in the ocean.

And

Was anyone else nervous the first few times they dove with someone other than their original buddy? My friend whom I was certified with, well...I'm pretty sure she is not going to be diving for a while. Not only do I not have any other friends who dive, I am worried about diving with someone I haven't trained with. I'm sure I'll get over it after a few times though, just gotta do that first dive!

Thanks in advance,
Dee

I would recommend Spanish Rocks in Bradenton. Only about an hours drive from Tampa and if the viz is good it is a great dive. Depth is only 20' and its free. Either that or hunt for teeth in Venice.
You are not alone in being nervous about diving with someone new. My recommmendation would be to try and find someone that dives a lot and has a good bit of experience. That way you will know that if any issues come up you are with someone well equipped to handle them with you.
There are plenty of experienced divers here on the board that will be more than happy to dive with you. Just post up your plans and I'm sure you will be able to find a buddy to dive with.

My first salt water dive was a boat dive in Grand Cayman with a load of tourists! Yeah, I was a little "nervous" but you get over that as soon as you get in and start looking around.
Spanish Rocks is a good, free, dive if the vis is good. You can also try Blue Grotto and Devils Den. These spring dives will have better visibility and may help getting used to a new buddy! Of course, these are not going to be free dives!
Next time the weather gets nice maybe you can go out on my boat. Here in Hernando the water isnt deep (30'-50') out to 25 miles.

We were hoping to get some dive time in the Gulf this weekend but it doesn't look like that's going to happen with the kind of weather headed this way. I think we're going to head to Hospital Hole instead.

I've dived with a few people I don't know. Just be up front about what you're comfortable doing and make a plan. It's all about communication and knowing your limits.

I don't get nervous anymore diving with new people anymore. I think it has a lot to do with personal comfort. I treat it (mentally) as a solo dive where I'm going to be there for the other person while being prepared to deal with any issues I may have on my own. Once I have done a dive with someone then its time to relax the second dive of the day. That being said, all of my experiences with divers I have met here or other forums have been great. I'd happily dive with any of them again. Anytime you need a buddy I'll go, and the same goes for anyone else.

[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]
I don't get nervous anymore diving with new people anymore. I think it has a lot to do with personal comfort. I treat it (mentally) as a solo dive where I'm going to be there for the other person while being prepared to deal with any issues I may have on my own. Once I have done a dive with someone then its time to relax the second dive of the day. That being said, all of my experiences with divers I have met here or other forums have been great. I'd happily dive with any of them again. Anytime you need a buddy I'll go, and the same goes for anyone else.

I look at it the same way but thats tough to do when you're a newbie. Once a little more experienced that is a good way to approach diving with someone new. As of right now with the experience level we are talking about I would have to say that diving with a more experienced diver or a professional is the way to go. It might be worth the money to get on a charter just to have a Divemaster to get in the water with. It all really depends on the person.

thanks for all the replies everyone; I would definitely go with someone who has been diving a while and is very comfortable in the water. Think I am going to give some thought to Spanish Rocks. Hopefully the weather gets a little clearer soon. I'll post a thread to see if anyone would be interested in going along.

Salmon Boy - i love Devil's Den, and can't wait to go back!

Spanish Rocks is a great dive to become comfortable in the water. I would dive with you anytime. We all started right where you are now. Once you get a few dives under your belt it won't matter who you dive with because you'll become comfortable and able to handle any situation that comes up. It just takes time. We all had to crawl before we walked!!

Think I am going to give some thought to Spanish Rocks.

If you are interested Florida Underwater Sports has what they call a Donut Dive every month. The cost is free and this month it's at Spanish Rocks. It is a great group that meets up, has some donuts, coffee etc. and then hits the water. It's scheduled for Saturday Dec. 19 at 9:00 am. It's filled with experienced divers and most of us dive the site quite a bit. Don't worry about a buddy your always paired with one or more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom