Red Sea (Egypt) closed (covid-19 confined)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to disappoint you about the Jewish slaves, but extensive findings on the Giza plateau show that the pyramids were built by free workers who were living quite well (apparently the pharaohs weren't counting pennies so to speak). The workers' village

As a matter of fact, the Pyramids were built well before ancient Egypt extended it's power into the current territories of Syria, Israel, Palestine, Jordan and so on. (we're talking about almost 1300 years between Khufu's reign and the reign of Ramses II)

Anyone know about Covid testing for Cairo or Luxor? I know they took my suggestion for airport testing for Marsa Alam and Hurghada, but what about the other airports?

I came through with a negative test result, I don’t believe there was testing on arrival, but it may have been the same as Hurghadha, I.e ‘we administer a test and ask where you are staying, you make up a hotel name and we will try to find you if your result comes back as positive’ :)

Sorry to disappoint you about the Jewish slaves, but extensive findings on the Giza plateau show that the pyramids were built by free workers who were living quite well (apparently the pharaohs weren't counting pennies so to speak). The workers' village

As a matter of fact, the Pyramids were built well before ancient Egypt extended it's power into the current territories of Syria, Israel, Palestine, Jordan and so on. (we're talking about almost 1300 years between Khufu's reign and the reign of Ramses II)
That's our story, and I'm sticking with it (especially when I will miss Passover with the family to be there in March/April).

Anyone know about Covid testing for Cairo or Luxor? I know they took my suggestion for airport testing for Marsa Alam and Hurghada, but what about the other airports?

Testing available at Cairo, Sharm, Hurghada and Marsa Alam airports on arrival. Officially confined in your hotel waiting the results.

Better to arrive with a test proof...

[...] Officially confined in your hotel waiting the results.
Are there any information available how strictly controlled this confinement is? and by whom?

Testing available at Cairo, Sharm, Hurghada and Marsa Alam airports on arrival. Officially confined in your hotel waiting the results.

Better to arrive with a test proof...
‘Not that I saw. The pool at the hotel I was at was full of people who had arrived in the last 7 days, given their hotel name after taking the test at the airport ( several made up hotel names or gave the names of other hotels with no challenge) got to the hotel and went about their business, Pool, day diving/shore diving etc. heard from no one.

Are there any information available how strictly controlled this confinement is? and by whom?

JustSurfaceInterval, let's stay serious ! :facepalm:It's Egypt, not Germany....

even if there is information somewhere about confinement control (I don't know where), you know you can indicate "Royal Palace hotel Sharm el Cheik" on the immigration form and it will be ok.... even if there is no hotel with such a name in Sharm !
And even if you go directly aboard a ship for the whole week !

This is not an incitement to delinquency. :D

@Sunn
I know... even in Germany it is sometimes difficult to comply and there are enough people giving fake names at the restaurants to avoid tracking (just one example). So i was wondering.:coffee:
My concern is how long it will take until the case numbers in the tourist areas will raise. oh, wait...it's Egypt: the numbers will not raise because no one will test tourists at the resorts and they will be home early enough before symptoms are visible. And locals wil not be tested either...

Current situation. I honestly wouldn’t pay in advance for a boat. I would fly over and book the day before sailing with a backup plan of going to stay and dive at the breakers. There will be no issue getting a spot on a boat though. I could book 5+ boats right now that are sailing tomorrow and just jump on them tomorrow am.

What's the best way to go about this? Can you wander the docks at Hurghada and ask who has space for sailings? Do most 6/7 day boats leave on Friday/Saturday?

We're considering a trip Nov/Dec but no real idea about who we'd sail with thus far. I like the idea of leaving it to the last minute, but given this will be our first holiday for almost 12 months there's a lot of pressure to make sure it's an awesome break!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom