Redundant air sources and the new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Wu

Contributor
Reaction score
The State Department adds pages to my Passport abo
# of dives
I just don't log dives
During a recent discussion with a new diver the subject of redundant gas sources came up. While I have my own strong thoughts about this issue I was interested in hearing what others have to say about the reasons put forward to me by this diver for his recommending redundant sources to people with less than 20 dives.

(for the purposes of this discussion it was indeed a Spare Air we were talking about but this not meant to spark a debate about that particular product. Instead I would like focus on a particular need for a redundant source)

The diver in question has 30 dives and is also feeling qualified to advise divers with many fewer.

The divers advice:

If clipping 3cf of SA to a BC helps a new diver relax in the water and enjoy their dive and gain experience...then maybe it is worth it...........

I am asked about my SA often and I will continue to give a realistic overview of what it can and cannot do....and I tell people all the time...manage your gas, keep your buddy nearby and you will likely not need a redundant air source....but if having one keeps your from worrying in the water and allows you to focus on the dive....then get one....just know it limits.

I requested clarification about the meaning of "relax in the water" and "having one keeps your from worrying in the water and allows you to focus on the dive".

This was the further explanation:

I think you misunderstand what I mean when I say there is benefit to clipping on a SA insofar as it allows a new diver to "not worry". I am not saying a new diver should believe they have the ultimate life saving tool because they clearly do not.

What I am saying is that there is a placebo effect that can help a new diver calm down and focus on the dive....being aware of EVERYTHING...not just swimming in a state of angst because they are in fear of OOA.

(emphasis added)

So what I gather from this is the diver feels a redundant air sources is valuable because it creates a "placebo effect" allowing you to stop the anxiety of fearing you will go out of air.

Like I sad I have my opinions. I was interested in yours.

Sometimes a little fear is a healthy thing. Being aware of the risk of OOA will mean that the new diver will spend time establishing effective routines for checking their air regularly. As their initial fears subside, hopefully they will be left with those effective routines.

Tiny SAs don't bring confidence, they bring FALSE confidence. IMHO, False Confidence is a dangerous thing. Feeling safe and being safe are quite often the opposite ends of a spectrum.

My gut is that if a new diver needs a SA to feel relaxed in the water, there are more fundamental issues that need to be addressed. The hardware is only masking the underlying issue without resolving it.

Agreed about tiny SA, of course a lot has to do with ones objectives in diving. I personally I dive with 27cf pony and Have strongly URGED the people that come on my boat to think pony (but not SA). Ponies are a redundant tool that only makes sense, in an environment that will not compromise. Just think of all the things that can go wrong (and have for some) and how having a redundant air source can even out the score. Personally I feel if your going to do serious diving it's not an option (of course just a fun shallow padi style dive is another thing), but if cost is an issue, wait until it's not, before you engage in more involved diving activity.

For most of us there are two issues at play here.
1) What is our risk factor?
2) How much inconvenience are we willing to put up with?

I've read one diver here who says he uses doubles and a 30 cf pony on even simple dives. For me that's way more than I want to be burdened with for a 60' shore dive. If I'm diving with a buddy, I don't even want to bother with a pony for that kind of dive. The way I see it, I've got a buddy and an octopus and that's enough redundancy for a simple dive. Generally for solo diving, I'm gonna bring a 19 cf pony with me. Same thing for dives past 80'. Once things like narcosis and decompression start becoming possibilities and CESA's start becoming difficult, that's when I'm going to want some extra redundancy. If I had a 30 cf bottle, I'd bring that for dives past 110'. That's just me though. Some people wouldn't feel the need at those depths and some people wouldn't feel comfortable without doubles.

Having used a spare air a few times now, I've got to say I really like it. Yes, it does only contain a bare minimum of air, but it's also about the size and weight of a 3 cell maglite. Clip that thing on and you really don't know it's there. Even a 6 cf pony seems huge in comparison. It's something I like for those dives where I want a little extra, but I don't want to pack a 19cf pony. For diving with an untested double hose regulator in shallow water for example or for a solo dive in shallow water catching crabs or spearing flounder. Since I'm generally doing these things at between 15 and 30 feet, I probably don't need the spare air at all, but it's unobtrusive and nice to have. Also, when I'm thinking of trying something dubious like actually testing out the reserve on a J-valve underwater, that 3 cf of air tucked under my armpit is reassuring. It's also really all I need. It's more than enough air for a slow ascent from 40' and I've actually done an ascent on one including a 3 minute stop. I switched to it at 20', did the 3 min stop and then swam perhaps 100 yards along the bottom to the shoreline. There was still air in it when I surfaced, but not much.

Edit: I wrote this whole thing out, thinking about redundancy and completely overlooking the new diver part of it. I wouldn't completely knock a SA as a redundant air source for a new diver though. I figure that new divers often haven't developed good buddy skills yet. It's very possible that they won't be right next to their buddy if they have an emergency. Also, while a SA really is nothing more than a CESA aid, a CESA at 30' per minute beats the snot out of a CESA at 90' per minute and a SA enables you to do the former.

A new diver probably also shouldn't be going any deeper than 100' regardless of what tanks or redundant air sources he has.

The main reason why I would strongly urge a new diver not to get a SA is price. At $300 or whatever it is they currently charge for them, they could spend their money on much more worthwhile things. That's a ludicrous amount of money for what you get. Now if you get one for $50 on Craigslist, then that's another matter.

Last edited:
I don't want a new diver to be relieved of the fear of going out of gas. To the contrary; I want a new diver very focused on watching his gas supply, because it isn't going to last long. Building good habits of frequent pressure checks is important.

The first few dives one does, there are a lot of things to do and keep track of, and you DON'T have the bandwidth to spend on experiencing the dive that you will have later, when you are more experienced. The answer is not to carry insurance against inattention, but rather, to cure the inattention by building good habits and learning good planning.

I have nothing against redundant gas sources, although I think one ought to do the math to be sure the redundant source being carried is even useful. But to recommend one to relieve a new diver of the need to monitor his gas is very bad advice, in my opinion.

I think anyone who would treat a spare air as a dive extender or a substitute for a pressure gauge is a fool. A Spare Air's an emergency item with between about 90 seconds and 4 minutes of breathing time depending on your depth.

When I was a new diver, I was always aware of my gas supply, as I was more than a little nervous and I checked it constantly. I might not always have made good decisions about it, as I had very little idea of what gas management was all about, but I always knew my tank pressure to within a couple hundred psi. The problem I had was that I frequently overlooked other things, like inflating my BC before rolling off the gunnel of a boat. They just hadn't become engrained habits yet. This, I think is a common problem with new divers, and when they roll into the water with their tank valve shut off, chances are they haven't practiced turning it back on again. At that point, having a secondary source of air likely will save their life.

So...to sum up; Spare Air = Rabbit's Foot?

The diver in question has 30 dives and is also feeling qualified to advise divers with many fewer.

Well, that's the problem right there...this is a rookie, who should be giving "advice" to no one. They cAn have an opinion, but I wouldn't even acknowledge their advice.

As has been said, one of the primary things a new diver needs to learn to focus on is gas management. Nervousness is an indication that they understand the importance of the practice. Fear is an indication that more training is needed. In either case, trying to mask the impact of their self-awareness is counter-productive to proper learning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom