Redundant Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two computers, one Petrel, one Perdix.

Perdix set fairly conservatively, Petrel much less so. The Petrel is the "get me out of the water without getting hurt too bad" computer, and the Petrel is the one that controls the dive, unless it ever fails. If it does ever fail, the Petrel allows me to change the GF high to be more conservative underwater so I can continue the ascent as usual.

I assume that you mean that the Perdix controls the dive.

I use my Zoop as a backup because I'm not spending another $1,000 for a second Perdix.

When I dive air, I set my Zoop to 21% Nitrox. I was told it was a way to make it a little more liberal. I haven't gotten into a deco with it since I switched it to the nitrox setting.
Why not just run it as gauge mode as your back up. Ans run off tables if needed ? I have a zoop novo and was going to keep it for back up.

Why not just run it as gauge mode as your back up. Ans run off tables if needed ? I have a zoop novo and was going to keep it for back up.

Reason for a backup is to replace your primary if it fails. Especially on a dive trip. Using the backup as a gauge serves no purpose in this regard.

Mine are both Oceanic Veo though one of them is the 3.

I’m planning on buying a Perdix with AI soon. I recently got back into diving after a fairly long hiatus. When I was taking a refresher I noticed that a couple of the LEDs are on their way out on my current computer so I figure if I’m going to replace what I’ve got I might as well get the latest and greatest and lose a hose in the process. Having said that since basic dive computers have gotten so inexpensive I figure I will buy a new basic computer to have as a backup. What would you all recommend as a good backup to a Perdix? Thanks

I use a backup on dive trips, especially when it's a liveaboard so there's no access to spare parts. One is an OSTC 2 and one is an OSTC Sport, both set to 60/75. In case of a partial gas loss i can switch to more aggressive GFs on the OSTC 2.

I’m planning on buying a Perdix with AI soon. I recently got back into diving after a fairly long hiatus. When I was taking a refresher I noticed that a couple of the LEDs are on their way out on my current computer so I figure if I’m going to replace what I’ve got I might as well get the latest and greatest and lose a hose in the process. Having said that since basic dive computers have gotten so inexpensive I figure I will buy a new basic computer to have as a backup. What would you all recommend as a good backup to a Perdix? Thanks

GEO 2 running DSAT.

Back
Top Bottom