Reefguy's Venice Beach Tooth Finding Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to be in the venice area on my honeymoon next week, but I won't be able to dive. Are there any good places to fossil hunt by snorkeling?

Snorkeling isn't the best option. Play in the surf zone with a screen box and you can find some teeth. Scoop up sand and shells at the bottom of the slight drop just inside the water. At that point it's like panning for gold. You'll find teeth that way. Bring your SCUBA gear and you'll find lots more.

If you cant bring scuba gear rent it. You might have to go to walmart and purchase a florida snow shovel as well but for the price I would rent gear. More bang for the buck. Or should I say more teeth for the buck!

where is the boneyard located is that the spot just out of service club park?

Just slightly south of the Alhambra Dr. site about 1/8 to 1/4 mile off shore. It would be a heck of a swim, but do-able with a kayak. Maybe someone will be nice enough to post some GPS co-ords.

The GPS # have been posted numerous times....use the "search" feature to find them.

I'm not positive what the definition of the bone yard is, but the charter boats are usually pretty close to about 1 mile off shore, which is where I normally kayak to. I did kayak up on a pair of people that were a mile out on a surface swim once, but that's a little nuts. I have some coords in the map link in my sig.

It is still a sticky!!! Someone just posted it twice! It is up on the front page of the Venice Fossil Divers Forum. Maybe it(Second Post) should be moved so people dont get confused?

Although they have similar names, this is the unedited thread started by ReefGuy that was moved to the fossil diver forum when it was created and is still an active chat thread about general fossil hunting on Venice beach. The sticky'd thread is strictly and information thread that is locked to prevent additiona post to it. I think things should stay as they are.

Wow. I never imagined this thread would still be going. I hope it's helped people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom