Reg choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought myself a cheap set of aqualung calypso regs when I qualified. I am now looking to do my advanced open water in phuket and want a balanced set for deep dives. So decision crisis ensued.

1st stage mk17 or mk21 at a push mk25
2nd stage g260 or s600

No cold water diving done that not fun.

I am leaning to mk21 and g260

support local business, buy Apeks. Universally serviceable, made in Blackburn England, high quality.

Echoing @RainPilot 's comment, I think the Deep6 regs are genuinely better than the Apeks, but if you are travelling abroad it may not be the best decision and with the exchange rates now, the Apeks may actually be cheaper

I bought myself a cheap set of aqualung calypso regs when I qualified. I am now looking to do my advanced open water in phuket and want a balanced set for deep dives. So decision crisis ensued.

1st stage mk17 or mk21 at a push mk25
2nd stage g260 or s600

No cold water diving done that not fun.

I am leaning to mk21 and g260

I would consider the new MK17/S560 combo. This new combo has awesome pricing (they actually dropped the price) and is top performance. The S560 second stage is the S600 with the same performance but in an all plastic material (not for very cold water). This combination will take care of all of current and future recreational diving levels (assuming you aren't going to get into ice/freezing water diving). The MK21 is a higher performance first stage than the MK17 and with the S560, it is a fantastic combo.

There is nothing bad about the other first stage/second stage combs, MK21/MK17/G260/S600 btw, I just believe that the new combo, MK17/S560, is an awesome combination based on performance and price that can't be beat.

We are going to standardize on the MK17/S560 combination (and Atomic Z2) for our dive school's training equipment fleet and will be phasing out other regulators as we can afford it. Our upper level training programs, Advanced, etc. will be the first to use these high end regulators.

sealed diaphragm of the mk-17 (or any other sealed diaphragm for that matter) is a bonus with post dive maintenance. fewer places for salt/grime to work its way into....

You won't get deep 6 in the UK. Apeks atx-40 second stage (x2) and a ds-4 first stage is all you need. Easy to get serviced anywhere, and I've had mine down to 50m and in water as cold as 2*C. I know others who have had them deeper.

Just found mk21 g260 r095 for £305 Seems a reasonable deal

You won't get deep 6 in the UK.

ZMUmX9T.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom