Reg choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weelllll.... I don't really think expecting every shop's service department to be the equal of DRiS is likely to ever happen. Or maybe I should say that just because a shop's service inventory doesn't measure up to DRiS's doesn't automatically mean they aren't good.

to resurrect this. @stuartv this is what a regulator service shop inventory should look like. Go to 08:45 in the video and look at the wall @Dive Right In Scuba

That's not really a fair comparison. DRIS is where tons of shops outsource their repairs to. They're honestly bigger than a well-stocked "normal" shop.

There is "K-mart/Wallmart" and there is specialized, smaller, Bike stores.

that implies those specialized stores carry all of the parts. @cerich flat out stated that most of them don't. Frankly for this I'd rather take my regs to a shop like DRiS that actually has a dedicated regulator tech that does nothing than service regs all day than go to these "specialty shops" where a guy services regs twice a month. Yeah they are servicing multiple kinds of regs, but how specialty are each of the regulators anyway? There's only a couple basic designs anyway

that implies those specialized stores carry all of the parts.

It also implies that those smaller bike stores sell wallmart-level bikes. They don't. They can't afford to.

Some do and some don't. DRI runs out of parts and orders the wrong parts as he admits it. When I owned my store, I had more inventory in parts with some that are for regulators and BC's that were out of production just to be able to service my clients' equipment as need. In fact, it was our policy to bring in spare parts, not just o/h kits, that would take care of all potential problem areas for any type/model regulator, BC's, Masks, snorkels, fins, etc. we sold. BTW, it isn't very smart from a business point of view to overload in stock. Most modern retail business management consultants want you to make your vendor/supplier be your warehouse not you.

Apeks if you live in UK but I don't..
However, have been using them, rec or tec, for 19yrs mainly in SA Asia. The two 19yr old DS4 are still serving me well.
DS4, DST or FSR.
If buying used from unknown source then FSR would be my preference because of the replaceable valve seat.
You can't go wrong with Apeks except The Flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom