Reg choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the Deep6 regs are genuinely better than the Apeks, but if you are travelling abroad it may not be the best decision

The Deep 6 regs come with a service kit, which you can take with you when traveling. And the warranty is maintained as long as it is worked on by a reg tech that is factory certified by any reg manufacturer. You don't have to find a reg tech that is trained specifically on Deep 6.

I've never looked inside a reg, but aren't all the balanced diaphragm 1st and 2nd stages similar enough that a tech for one should be able to work on a different brand with no real issues?

I have Hollis and Dive Rite regs. I dropped them all off for service over 5 weeks ago and I'm still waiting on all of them to be done because of waiting on parts. I wasn't surprised about Hollis being slow, but I am surprised and a bit irritated at Dive Rite's performance in getting the parts to my LDS. I'm talking about XT regs, too - not some old, discontinued models. But I digress....

I now see firsthand the value in having a service kit in hand when traveling (or going for normal service). If I needed a new reg (and I could stomach the color orange), Deep 6 would be my first choice. Any manufacturer that would not sell me a service kit to have in my toolbox would be very low on my list.

The Deep 6 regs come with a service kit, which you can take with you when traveling. And the warranty is maintained as long as it is worked on by a reg tech that is factory certified by any reg manufacturer. You don't have to find a reg tech that is trained specifically on Deep 6.

I've never looked inside a reg, but aren't all the balanced diaphragm 1st and 2nd stages similar enough that a tech for one should be able to work on a different brand with no real issues?

I have Hollis and Dive Rite regs. I dropped them all off for service over 5 weeks ago and I'm still waiting on all of them to be done because of waiting on parts. I wasn't surprised about Hollis being slow, but I am surprised and a bit irritated at Dive Rite's performance in getting the parts to my LDS. I'm talking about XT regs, too - not some old, discontinued models. But I digress....

I now see firsthand the value in having a service kit in hand when traveling (or going for normal service). If I needed a new reg (and I could stomach the color orange), Deep 6 would be my first choice. Any manufacturer that would not sell me a service kit to have in my toolbox would be very low on my list.
@cerich can correct me if I'm wrong but the warranty applies regardless of who services it as long as the issue is a manufacturer problem.

I had my set in to my LDS to have a look at and the tools for Apeks will work fine and there's nothing unusual to the reg in terms of service requirements. Anyone who can service any sealed diaphragm reg will be able to sort out your reg.

@stuartv just because a reg tech can rebuild it doesn't mean the shop will allow them to rebuild it for a myriad of reasons.

you say about mfg's that won't sell them to you, yet you dive and recommend Hollis, who's official policy prohibits people from buying kits for their regs.

If a shop is certified to rebuild regulators, they should have parts kits in stock, you should only ever have to wait for weird parts that aren't normally replaced. I.e. if you had to replace an environmental seal or something weird like that. Anything else should be in stock, repair kits, inhale/exhale diaphragms, etc etc

@cerich can correct me if I'm wrong but the warranty applies regardless of who services it as long as the issue is a manufacturer problem.

"we don’t void warranty when any trained (by any brand) repair technician services our gear for you"

From here: Our take on servicing / Deep Thoughts

@stuartv just because a reg tech can rebuild it doesn't mean the shop will allow them to rebuild it for a myriad of reasons.

you say about mfg's that won't sell them to you, yet you dive and recommend Hollis, who's official policy prohibits people from buying kits for their regs.

If a shop is certified to rebuild regulators, they should have parts kits in stock, you should only ever have to wait for weird parts that aren't normally replaced. I.e. if you had to replace an environmental seal or something weird like that. Anything else should be in stock, repair kits, inhale/exhale diaphragms, etc etc

First, I can buy Hollis service kits right here: Service Parts Kits for Hollis Regulators

And Dive Rite service kits here: Service Parts Kits for Dive Rite Regulators

I don't care what Hollis' official policy is. I care whether I can actually buy a service kit or not. And anyway, I did not recommend Hollis here.

I agree that my LDS SHOULD have the right parts in stock, but SHOULD and DO are often not on the same page.

Anyway, my perspective on regs has changed a little bit based on my current inability to dive because I don't have any regs. I'm going to get service kits for all my regs, so this doesn't happen again. But, the Deep 6 service policy and inclusion of service kits with their regs seems like it puts them ahead of other brands when it comes to concerns about traveling and having a reg malfunction.

Also, if your concern is that a shop might not allow a reg tech to rebuild a reg, doesn't that equally apply if you have Apeks (or any other brand) and the shop in your tropical destination isn't an official Apeks dealer, and/or doesn't have an Apeks-trained tech? I mean you cannot be guaranteed that wherever you travel will have a local shop that is an official dealer for any particular brand, can you? Surely, Apeks is carried by vastly more shops than Deep 6. But, if you're going to buy based on being ASSURED of finding an official dealer anywhere you travel to, you probably need to buy 2 or 3 reg sets to take, each of a different brand, don't you? You could end up somewhere where no local shop is an Apeks dealer, right? If they won't work on your Deep 6 reg, then they aren't going to work on your Apeks, either, right? If they will work on either, they still might not have parts for either one.

Maybe I'm underestimating Apeks. If they have an official dealer in every single location the OP will ever go, then my questions are moot.

(and I could stomach the color orange), Deep 6 would be my first choice.

umm..i have black and also chrome seconds, not just Orange..in fact please get any but orange, I am running out of orange, they sell 3-4x the others

I had my set in to my LDS to have a look at and the tools for Apeks will work fine and there's nothing unusual to the reg in terms of service requirements. Anyone who can service any sealed diaphragm reg will be able to sort out your reg.
reg tech, don't care what brand. Frankly not looking for reasons to void warranty.. if you(or tech) breaks something..tell me straight up and I'll make it painless, spin me a story that is impossible unless you have video proof and I won't be as inclined to make it painless.

This is definitely an issue in US. A lot of shops won't do what they aren't authorized to do for liability reason.. And because I have encounted enough of this, I always recommend vacation diving to get reg that with easy access to service world wide.

Also, if your concern is that a shop might not allow a reg tech to rebuild a reg, doesn't that equally apply if you have Apeks (or any other brand) and the shop in your tropical destination isn't an official Apeks dealer, and/or doesn't have an Apeks-trained tech? I mean you cannot be guaranteed that wherever you travel will have a local shop that is an official dealer for any particular brand, can you? Surely, Apeks is carried by vastly more shops than Deep 6. But, if you're going to buy based on being ASSURED of finding an official dealer anywhere you travel to, you probably need to buy 2 or 3 reg sets to take, each of a different brand, don't you? You could end up somewhere where no local shop is an Apeks dealer, right? If they won't work on your Deep 6 reg, then they aren't going to work on your Apeks, either, right? If they will work on either, they still might not have parts for either one.

You are technically correct. Even the most popular brand won't necessary get serviced in certain particular location of the world, but you need to consider the chance of that. With SP, AL for sure, Apeks (maybe), the chance you won't find anything nearby is extremely low anywhere in the world. I can't say the same about HOG, which I also have owned.

I have no experience with DR or Deep6. I really want to give it a try. I am trying find out local support situation. At least for myself, it is important

I have no experience with DR or Deep6. I really want to give it a try. I am trying find out local support situation. At least for myself, it is important

Hmm..no demo center or ind instr that teaches the reg class nearby to service for you. That said, UPS works well, here in 4-5 days and out in 2 for a turnaround of less than 2 weeks. Not perfect but doable. I will soon have a S CA demo center that can do, and a Tacoma one

umm..i have black and also chrome seconds, not just Orange..in fact please get any but orange, I am running out of orange, they sell 3-4x the others

I know, I know. And if your black or chrome ones had no orange on them, that would be one thing. But, you don't have any that have no orange on them at all. We have had this conversation before. I like what you're doing and my friends with your regs really like them. Please don't hate me just because I have a personal aversion to orange.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom