Reg for twin set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what do you feel we haven't explained?

Landon did a good job at the end after you shrug me off :)

Every reg bought from us at Deep6gear.com has the first service free on us. Any reg sent to us for service will get free parts.

We will be offering a service plan for purchase when we get past the 2 year point so that our consumers can save some money by buying a plan. Right now, no reg out there except a couple prototypes are older than 12 months, so service cost is a non issue.

Cool. That seems to completely contradict Landon quoting kits at $52.50 when sending regs in for service. Maybe he was talking about if you had regs serviced locally instead of sending them in? But then that would contradict the part where he talked about sending them in for the free first service.

I'm confused about the costs.

Also, I may be the only consumer out there that thinks like this (but probably not), but when I look at buying something I want to know what all the costs are going to be - even the ones that aren't relevant yet.

For example, I bought I Seabear H3 computer. But, I wouldn't buy it until SubGravity actually quoted the price for a battery change. The computers weren't out long enough for any computer to need a battery change. But, not knowing what price tag they might decide to put on it after they had me over a barrel just made me not willing to commit to that purchase.

Knowing how much your service plan will cost - even though nobody would be signing up today, might help people decide to buy Deep6 regs.

Cool. That seems to completely contradict Landon quoting kits at $52.50 when sending regs in for service. Maybe he was talking about if you had regs serviced locally instead of sending them in? But then that would contradict the part where he talked about sending them in for the free first service.

Also, I may be the only consumer out there that thinks like this (but probably not), but when I look at buying something I want to know what all the costs are going to be - even the ones that aren't relevant yet.

For example, I bought I Seabear H3 computer. But, I wouldn't buy it until SubGravity actually quoted the price for a battery change. The computers weren't out long enough for any computer to need a battery change. But, not knowing what price tag they might decide to put on it after they had me over a barrel just made me not willing to commit to that purchase.

Knowing how much your service plan will cost - even though nobody would be signing up today, might help people decide to buy Deep6 regs.

What you said is exactly how we measure the true "Total Cost of Ownership" in our business over 5 or 7 years (IT).

(I know that you are a top notch Software developer :) )

It's my OCD that won't let me pass by when it appears that an incomplete "solution" has been presented and yields an incorrect answer - no matter how minor the difference is.

I will always choose to go through my local shop versus an online retailer. Online-only has to give me some real, tangible advantage, either on cost savings or better features/performance (that I can actually tell, not just be aware of "in theory") to take my support away from my local shop. When I bought my very first reg set (a Hollis single tank setup), I paid an extra $65 to buy them from my local shop versus what I could have bought them for online. Worth it, to me.

If you are OCD, between Landon and I we will drive you nuts. Buy the DR reg :)

If you prefer to buy in your local shop, do so. Good shops should be supported.

If you are looking to personally be able to differentiate reg performance, you need to spend a ton on testing gear, dive dozens of different regs at different depths while comparing how you perceive them to the test results to get your perceptions in tune with metrics. For better performing regs, you will only start to see differences at depths that far exceed any rational depth and in many cases far below what you see even expensive testing equipment capable of testing.

I really don't know what to say, since day ONE we have said that the first service was on us, I really don't know how to make it any clearer.

Did you leave out labor cost on yours for the service at the 4 year mark?

I left out the cost on ours, because that depends on if you get it done locally, through us, or do it yourself. I was just highlighting that excluding labor costs for either, it still costs more to get the DR at the 4yr mark, because the cost are the same, and ours includes the labor for at least 1 of the services, theirs does not.

You also left out shipping costs to get the regs to/from you (I'm assuming you don't pay all that shipping).

We are going to have two levels of service plans. The standard service plan includes free return ground shipping, you would only pay shipping to us. The premium service plan would include a call tag, so round trip shipping is on us.

Is your quote of $52.50 for kits the total price for all kits needed for a doubles reg set?
That was the cost for a single tank setup, apologies for the confusion. The correct prices below.
$75 for D6 service kits for a doubles set
$101 for DR service kits for a doubles set.

If you're going to talk about "free with a service plan" shouldn't you include the cost of the service plan in your quote?

We haven't decided on the plan pricing yet, but we promise it will be reasonable and probably lower than most dive shops have been charging customers.

Labor on the 4yr service plus shipping for 2yr and 4yr seems like it could easily put the total cost higher than the DR set. And, if so, then the difference becomes greater at every service after that.

That is unlikely, the math for that just doesn't add up. Shipping and insurance would at best be around $20 for each service. The difference is already greater between the DR than $40, mainly because the kits alone amount to $52 in difference.

I don't really want to nitpick here. They seem very comparable on price and cost of ownership. It's my OCD that won't let me pass by when it appears that an incomplete "solution" has been presented and yields an incorrect answer - no matter how minor the difference is.

I am not really nitpicking here, they are both good products, we just feel we are offering more. Keep in mind, on a service plan with us, you can get your regs service when they need it, even if it is more frequent than the 2 yr interval, which is likely for a dive professional. Instead of paying per service you would be paying for continual coverage.

And again, even if doing it own your own, a $26 difference in service kit costs can add up over the years.

Also, when price and features/performance are very comparable, I will always choose to go through my local shop versus an online retailer. Online-only has to give me some real, tangible advantage, either on cost savings or better features/performance (that I can actually tell, not just be aware of "in theory") to take my support away from my local shop. When I bought my very first reg set (a Hollis single tank setup), I paid an extra $65 to buy them from my local shop versus what I could have bought them for online. Worth it, to me.

Are we the best choice for everyone? No, and I'm fine with telling someone that. I believe in your case it makes sense to go with the LDS. You work there as a DM, and they are a DR dealer.

I do feel in a head to head comparison we do offer better performance and a bit higher quality comparing the two regulators here, along with a lower TCO (total cost of ownership), but in your case I still think it makes more sense for you to go with DR for the reasons above. As Chris said, if you want to compare this particular regulator, the DGX reg by D6 may be a better comparison for the same features/performance, but when comparing high performance regulators, you aren't going to notice a difference with most until you go to insane depths.

Last edited:
If you are OCD, between Landon and I we will drive you nuts. Buy the DR reg :)

If you prefer to buy in your local shop, do so. Good shops should be supported.

If you are looking to personally be able to differentiate reg performance, you need to spend a ton on testing gear, dive dozens of different regs at different depths while comparing how you perceive them to the test results to get your perceptions in tune with metrics. For better performing regs, you will only start to see differences at depths that far exceed any rational depth and in many cases far below what you see even expensive testing equipment capable of testing.

Ha ha!

At this point, all I am really looking for is an updated version of what Landon posted with the correct info on cost of ownership over 5 years.

He quoted a price for parts. You said parts are free. He quoted free for the first service but didn't include cost of shipping. I don't think labor was quoted anywhere yet I understand labor to not be free after the first Deep6 service.

I just want to know what is complete and correct?

I'll take your word for it that I personally won't observe any difference in performance between Deep6 Signature and DR XTs regs. What I get is that the difference will be in "feel", not any numbers that would mean anything in the real world. Got it.

Still curious about the full cost of ownership.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom