Regs need servicing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have and use piston 1sts?
Yes.
Are they that much easier than diaphragm 1sts to service yourself?
Yes. A Mk10 has - quite seriously - 5 "significant" parts (if you count the swivel/turret as one) - the body, turret/swivel, HP seat cap, piston and spring. It also has about a half-dozen O-rings in it. all of which are replaceable with generic EPR 70 duros. Not including the cleaning (ultrasonic tank) and drying time I can strip and rebuild one in about 10 minutes.
Are there less parts in the 1st stage?
Typically, yes.
Doesn't salt get into the 1st stage and cause corrosion?
Not where it matters. Yes, there are some minor rust spots on the spring when you tear them down. And if you really abuse one, the body can get pitted, but that's true of any first.

If you get saltwater INSIDE, it will get trashed, but that's true of ANY reg. So don't do that :) ALL regs have to be soaked in fresh water after use if you want things to work well over time. All.

I've got a bunch of Mk10s, all of which are many years old, none of which I am the original owner of, and while there is some superficial external corrosion and even a couple of places externally where the plating is damaged on a couple of them, there are places where there's some minor corrosion that has happened on the threads between body parts (not "internal" - would have happened with ANY reg) and some have come to me looking like they were buried in a sand dune somewhere, I've yet to have one fail to work properly, leak, be impossible to rebuild and restore to proper operation or otherwise give me trouble operationally as a consequence of it.

I've also yet to have one have a catastrophic seat failure. Generally as the seats age they will suffer quite a bit of creep but even with a BADLY trashed seat they'll seal - it'll just happen at 10 or 20 psi more pressure than normal.

Does anyone have the SP MK2, R380 and G250HP service manuals in PDF format?

I'd like to see what these puppy's look like inside.

Time to bring this back up to the top here...

Check the dates... I guess it's been about two weeks since we were last talking, and about two weeks since I sent my regs back to Leisurepro. I included a letter in the box (I had to put my regs back together and put them back on their original hoses before sending them back) that basically surmised everything that's happened in one page or less. I told them that I was miserable with these regs and that they were only a few months old and had cost me $120 in worthless service. I asked them to please allow me to return them and get something else. I'm not real pleased here... Five months after getting a new set of regs, they need to be repaired, and the "authorized representative" treated me terribly and did nothing for me. What's worse is that I don't have MY regs for this weekend at Ginnie...

Anyway, I got a phone call today from Leisurepro. I was expecting them to tell me that I could not return them because they were over thirty days old or something... So I was prepared to "back off" in my request and simply have them either replace what I had or fix them at no charge - the right way. What I got was a very pleasant surprise... They've credited me the full purchase price. The specific words were, "Mr. Bayne, these regs are not repairable. Please select another regulator and simply pay the difference." Guys, you completely rock. Thanks, Leisurepro.

...So the question remains... What to get this time 'round? I'm sold on the idea of a sealed first stage, which is why I bought a MK16 in the first place... But would prefer to check out Apeks' entry instead, since I'm none too thrilled with the quality of product from Scubapro. I've also had the opportunity to check out the interior of some of the Apeks stuff, and it seems to be of better quality. I also like the simplicity of the DS4 first... What are peoples' opinions on the DS4 first vs. the TX100 first? Is there any advantage with clearance?

Second, can someone with a true understanding please tell me what the difference is between the TX series and the ATX series? Is it just a size thing?

Lastly, can someone please accurately help me to understand what the difference is between the 20 series, 40 series, 50 series, 100 series, and 200 series?

I've been taught that a bungeed necklace should have a backup on it that's not balanced. Is the ATX40 not balanced, while all the others are? Is that right?

Thanks for all y'all's help. :D

I've been taught that a bungeed necklace should have a backup on it that's not balanced. Is the ATX40 not balanced, while all the others are? Is that right?

with a balanced on the necklace, PROVIDED that it is adjustable so you can turn up the cracking effort to prevent freeflows.

Remember, the backup is YOURS. If you need it, wouldn't you like it to breathe as nicely as your primary? I would and do!

My backup is a G250!

SeaJay once bubbled...
...So the question remains... What to get this time 'round? I'm sold on the idea of a sealed first stage, which is why I bought a MK16 in the first place... But would prefer to check out Apeks' entry instead, since I'm none too thrilled with the quality of product from Scubapro. I've also had the opportunity to check out the interior of some of the Apeks stuff, and it seems to be of better quality. I also like the simplicity of the DS4 first... What are peoples' opinions on the DS4 first vs. the TX100 first? Is there any advantage with clearance?

Second, can someone with a true understanding please tell me what the difference is between the TX series and the ATX series? Is it just a size thing?

Lastly, can someone please accurately help me to understand what the difference is between the 20 series, 40 series, 50 series, 100 series, and 200 series?

I dive the ATX50 - primary and the ATX40 bungee backup. I like these regs a lot!! It was a money thing when I first purchased the setup but would do it again. The ATX50 has the cracking adjustment the ATX40 does not, but both have the IVS (breathing venturi system) which controls the breathing resistance and sensitivity of the second stage.

My understanding about the TX and ATX difference is the size of the secondary. Supposedly (never dove the reg) the TX is larger, a bit heavier, but has a better exhaust routing. Frankly, the ATX is fine and the bubbles exhausting doesn't bother me in the least.

I like the looks of the 100 series because of the square configuration seems like it may work better on hose routing, especially for doubles.

Good luck hunting. It's fun shopping for equipment huh?

SeaJay once bubbled...
Time to bring this back up to the top here...

You may want to look around this site.

http://www.apeks.co.uk/apekshome.htm

Looks like all their 2nd stages are balanced barrel poppet designs. So, if you want to use one as an octo and still have high performance you probably need to look at one with the adjuster so you can do some tuning on the fly. Or go with the T20 (40 for cold water) and detune it a bit.

That is some great service from LP.

awap once bubbled...

That is some great service from LP.

Yes it is. Goes to show that a shop is a shop is a shop, whether online or not... And just because it's "local" doesn't mean "good customer service." Conversely, just because it's "online" doesn't mean "poor customer service."

I'm thrilled.

I think I'm leaning toward an ATX100 with ATX50 backup. The ATX100 comes with the first stage which I believe to have the better routing, and the ATX50 is the least expensive in the lineup which includes a knob for cracking adjustment.

Guys, I'm still unclear as to what the ports look like on the right side of the ATX100 first stage. Are there three there? Two HP's on top and one HP at the bottom, all with standard fittings?

I've checked out the Apeks site, but they don't seem to be that specific...

SeaJay once bubbled...

Guys, I'm still unclear as to what the ports look like on the right side of the ATX100 first stage. Are there three there? Two HP's on top and one HP at the bottom, all with standard fittings?

Look at WKPP and it looks like three per side, including two HP and four LP. I don't have those, but I like the looks of them, plus I'm impressed with Apeks performance.

SeaJay once bubbled...

There are three ports. 2 LP and 1 HP on each side Send me a PM and I'll E-mail you the exploded diagram of the TX/ATX 100/200 if you need it.

Hallmac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom