Regs need servicing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

about Apeks 1sts is that they have one "funny" LP port (larger hose/coupler diameter) which means that standard hoses won't fit on that port.

This can be a PITA if you dive a singles rig, since the PITA port is of course on the side where your regs go, and that means you need a custom hose for either the long hose or backup.

Is a pain, you can use an adapter, but 1/2 inch hoses are readily available in every size and color around here.

hallmac

Genesis once bubbled...
This can be a PITA if you dive a singles rig, since the PITA port is of course on the side where your regs go, and that means you need a custom hose for either the long hose or backup.
Nahh... just run the stock 1/2" hose on the backup and put the long hose on the "rear" port, which is 3/8". Routing makes perfect sense that way. Putting the long hose on the 1/2" port means that the long hose and the backup hose have to cross each other.

RichLockyer once bubbled...

Nahh... just run the stock 1/2" hose on the backup and put the long hose on the "rear" port, which is 3/8". Routing makes perfect sense that way. Putting the long hose on the 1/2" port means that the long hose and the backup hose have to cross each other.

Wait... The 1/2" port is the "front" port, on the right side?

I would think that you'd want the backup reg on the front port and the primary (long hose) on the rear... Doing it the other way would mean crossed hoses when the primary's deployed.

Wait... This isn't clear. It depends on what style of rig you're diving.

...So let me get this straight... When using a Hogarthian rig (DIR), the long hose primary (what you use to donate in an OOA) should be connected to the rear LP port, while the backup hose (short, on a necklace) should be connected to the front port. Doing it the other way would mean crossed hoses when you deployed the primary (long hose).

Thus, what's needed is a 1/2" SHORT hose for the backup.

The 7-footer remains a "normal" 7-footer.

Ahhhh... Then the ATX200 first sounds really nice for a Hogarthian rig.

For clarity, if you were diving a "normal" PADI rig (i.e. short primary hose, longer octo hose, with intent to donate the octo) then you'd want the primary on the front port and the backup on the rear. Again, this would be in order to avoid crossed hoses when deployed in an OOA.

The bottom line is that the long hose goes on the rear no matter what second stage you donate. That means that the short hose - with both rigs - is the one you need to fit a 1/2" port, either through the proper hose or through using an adapter.

Do I have that right?

Wait... Simpler terms... The hose you donate with goes on the right rear port. How's that? That works for both rigs...

SeaJay once bubbled...
Wait... Simpler terms... The hose you donate with goes on the right rear port. How's that? That works for both rigs...
Correct. The 1/2" port is the one closest to your head. The TX100 and ATX200 1sts work just fine in a DIR config for singles or doubles. In the case of doubles, you plug the 1/2" port on the right post and run the stock 1/2" hose from the 1/2" port on the left post. If not running argon, the drysuit inflator runs from the 3/8 port behind the 1/2" port on the left post. If you're diving wet or using argon, then you can plug both 1/2" ports and run 100% 3/8 hoses, but then you're changing hoses when you switch to singles (though I think it would be best to have dedicated "singles" and "doubles" reg sets.)

Or just get a set of DS4s. Same guts and no 1/2" port to worry about.

RichLockyer once bubbled...

Or just get a set of DS4s. Same guts and no 1/2" port to worry about.

Yeah, but when all's said and done, is the hose routing as pretty?

SeaJay,

Forget worrying about the 1/2" port - it's a non issue. Buy a 1/2" hose and the 1/2"-3/8" adapter. Or a spare 1/2" hose. Maybe a 1/2" plug. Go dive.

If you're looking at the ATX100 or ATX200 - go for the ATX200 first stage. When you use it in a doubles configuration, the regs are mounted in such a way that they don't interfere with the left or right valve knobs. Look at the pictures of George Irvine's rig on the WKPP site - you can see how the ATX100 first stages (or TX100 or whatever) have the environmentally sealed end sticking out. The ATX200 first stages have the env. sealed ends pointing in.

September 8th... I called Leisurepro today (the "returns manager" had called me a week ago, but I've not been able to return his call 'til now) and asked them about my regs.

I was advised that my first and second stages were defective, but that my backup wasn't. I had a $259 store credit, and would be receiving my R380 back.

With a little begging, I was able to get them to return the whole deal, and I had a credit of $379.

Thank you, Leisurepro! :D

I spent the entire kit-n-kaboodle on an ATX200 first and second stage. The decision to go with that reg set was based on checking out an ATX200 this past weekend at Extreme Exposure. It looked super-nice, and I really liked the first stage.

Total additional cost = ~$25.

I still need to purchase a backup... So the "move" has cost me around $160. I'm okay with that if I get better quality comonents, which these seem to be. My backup will be an ATX50, purchased at DiveInn or at EE. Leisurepro only sells the "octo" version, which is not only more expensive, but comes with this ghastly yellow cover which I'm not a fan of. :D You know, Rule #6 and all. :D

While I was at EE, I inquired about the 1/2" port thing... They did not have those hoses in stock, but highly recommended an adapter anyway, so that my hose could remain "standard" and it was switchable with other DIR divers on-site.

Additionally, I purchased an IP guage from Scubatools, and I'll be measuring IP and making some fine-tuning adjustments before I take my first dive. Perhaps this will hint if there's any problem before I begin using it...

Thanks for all y'all's help. :D I now have the complete schematics for all Apeks regs, including the ATX200, and both the ATX200 and "regular" versions of the PowerPoint presentation which outlines how to service the regs myself.

Additionally, I've found no less than three sources for purchasing service kits, with all of them quoting prices of $20-$30 on each kit. That's not the cheapest in the world, but hey... It's cake as compared to what I was going through on my other regs. :)

Much of the time you don't need the seats.

Buy one kit for each, and when you need to tear it down, just do so, inspect, clean, and replace O-rings.

Put it back together.

If its ok and the IP doesn't creep, LEAVE IT ALONE!

Keep the seat for another day.....

You'll find that you can go a few years between needing to use those seats.... which makes the rebuild cost VERY cheap indeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom