Regulator bungie for recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you need a long hose for open water rec. I am not DIR but I believe standard length hoses are fine according to them for open water. Long hoses are good for confined spaces where divers can not be right next to each other.

If a diver steadfastly refuses dealing with a 7' hose, a 5' hose wraps quite nicely around most people for recreational OW usage. The result is a much safer gas donor exchange and a much more streamline configuration. Simply look at most diver's avatar pictures and there are hoses going every which way...

---------- Post Merged at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:52 AM ----------

View attachment 140685

Which allows you to slip it over the mouth of the octo and remove whenever you want.

I tried using these, but they don't last very long with regular usage. A much better solution is a zip-tied shock cord around mouthpiece with knots on both ends. Someone else will probably have a good illustration on installing...

If a diver steadfastly refuses dealing with a 7' hose, a 5' hose wraps quite nicely around most people for recreational OW usage. The result is a much safer gas donor exchange and a much more streamline configuration. Simply look at most diver's avatar pictures and there are hoses going every which way...

---------- Post Merged at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:52 AM ----------

I tried using these, but they don't last very long with regular usage. A much better solution is a zip-tied shock cord around mouthpiece with knots on both ends. Someone else will probably have a good illustration on installing...

I use a 5' hose when doing rec diving but properly trained, anyone can use a 7' hose. It really doesn't add much drag.

Although, I use the double knot adjustable bungee necklace and haven't had an issue with it for years, there are many other alternatives.

As for the bungee there are many examples like these:
backup_reg_closeup.jpg

or this

Attachments

• 43440d1203684379-secondary-reg-bungeed-around-neck-p1000879.jpg
    43440d1203684379-secondary-reg-bungeed-around-neck-p1000879.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 729

I'll never understand (or agree) with what is done in that picture. Why would a person secure the bungee using the same zip tie that is securing the mouthpiece? First of all, a properly done bungee necklace is just as effective AND you can take the bungee off quickly without tearing off the mouthpiece if required for any reason. The method of securing the bungee in that picture also guarantees that there is uneven pressure holding your mouthpiece on.....could possibly lead to issues. Who can explain why this picture is a good solution because I am missing the pro points?

i was thinking that bungee ziptied to the reg mouthpiece would be a possible snag hazard? or worse case a choking hazard if the hose gets caught on something. yes I know a line cutter will clear up the issue but why put yourself in that situation?

i was thinking that bungee ziptied to the reg mouthpiece would be a possible snag hazard? or worse case a choking hazard if the hose gets caught on something. yes I know a line cutter will clear up the issue but why put yourself in that situation?

GUE & UTD instructors all use this method. Since it is bungee cord, it shouldn't be too difficult to remove from ones head in the extremely unlikely event of a snag, Etc....

I love having my backup on a bungee around my neck. If I ever need it, it's right there :)!

But agree with others, if you dive this hose configuration - it's best to have a 5' or 7' primary hose to donate to your buddy if needed. I also would recommend diving with someone who also uses this system so they can show you an S drill (the most efficient way to donate a long hose). There are plenty of divers in Seattle and probably elsewhere in Washington who would be happy to join you for a dive or two and show you how use the system safely ;-).

My back up reg is zip tied to a bungee with a second zip tie.

I happen to have a 5' hose for sale for cheap -- if you need one , or a local contact just PM :).

Okay, I'm confused. I use a silicone (or some similar rubbery material) regulator necklace (not bungee cord) for my secondary with the idea that I would donate this secondary to the OOA diver and keep the reg I'm using in my mouth. Why would it take any longer to pull the secondary out of my necklace and hand it to the OOA diver than to pull the secondary out of the crappy traditional "octo holder" I used to have clipped to a D-ring on my BCD or a snorkel-keeper octo holder that some people use?

One reason is that an OOA diver is most likely to grab the reg out of your mouth in an emergency. That's why the backup reg is bunged around your neck. It's faster to donate your primary, and you're not under the same stress to switch to the secondary without anything in your mouth for a few seconds. Also, if properly sized and positioned, you can get the secondary into your mouth without using your hands. You could have a situation where the primary gets ripped out of your mouth and your hands are occupied.

There are many reasons to have the primary on a long hose (5 or 7) and the secondary on a necklace. But having a short primary on a necklace that is zip tied while the secondary is an integrated octo seems like a bad idea. The only advantage you have is that in case you accidentally lose your primary, you can find it without doing a hand sweep. This pales in comparison to having an unencumbered second stage ready to donate or be ripped out of your mouth by an OOA diver.

Why do you need a long hose for open water rec. I am not DIR but I believe standard length hoses are fine according to them for open water. Long hoses are good for confined spaces where divers can not be right next to each other.

I was specifically referring to donating the primary on a standard length interstage hose; which is why I used those words.

If you want to donate your primary on a standard 22" hose then I suggest you have a good practice to find out how awkward it is. Even octopus hoses are longer than the regular hose for a reason.

As to GUE standards - no, you need a long hose primary for all GUE classes.

Okay, I'm confused. I use a silicone (or some similar rubbery material) regulator necklace (not bungee cord) for my secondary with the idea that I would donate this secondary to the OOA diver and keep the reg I'm using in my mouth. ~

How long is your secondary hose? If it is 40in then I would imagine that is a pretty big bow of hose hanging off your profile. If it is the short 22-26in hose then it is too shore to be an ideal share air option. Adding an angle adapter+40in hose will create a floppy connection and also isn't ideal.

The ideal configuration for ease of use and ergonomics (lesser wake profile) would be using a short 22-24in hose and utilizing the bungee backup as your personal backup. This means donating a primary that's long enough, my preference being 40in or more (usual increments being 40in, 44in, 5ft, 6ft, 7ft).

I'll never understand (or agree) with what is done in that picture. Why would a person secure the bungee using the same zip tie that is securing the mouthpiece? First of all, a properly done bungee necklace is just as effective AND you can take the bungee off quickly without tearing off the mouthpiece if required for any reason. The method of securing the bungee in that picture also guarantees that there is uneven pressure holding your mouthpiece on.....could possibly lead to issues. Who can explain why this picture is a good solution because I am missing the pro points?

By quickly, we're talking about matter of a second, adding a bit more finesse required for the zip-tied bungee side.
Remember bungee is compressible, the uneven pressure you're talking about is so minuscule it really doesn't have an effect. With this method you're assured that your reg will never come undone. There still is pressure all around the mouthpiece, with a slight heavier pressure where the bungee sits, but the mouthpiece will not come undone anymore than a mouthpiece ziptied on normally.

With the blood knot method (removable way) there still is a chance of the reg coming undone, especially in high energy surf entries. Maybe not specific to your local but certainly there is at least one beach in my area where this is a strong possibility.

The tradeoff is having a 100% sure way your reg is not coming out of the bungee unless you want it to, at the cost of being easily removable. (easy being a word of opinion)

When it comes down to it I side with bungee regs being truly useful serving as the personal backup role. For donating it is better to use a primary or a secondary that's located on your chest. True donating a reg out of a necklace would be simple, but on the flip side someone grabbing a reg off your neck is going to cause some unneeded neck pain. There's also the hose routing issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom