Regulator bungie for recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a quick note. I am slammed right now, will reply to all your posts late tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I'm not a troll, ...although I'm 1/4 Norwegian!!

I caught onto the idea of the regulator bungie after looking at the tek setups, and put about 50 dives on it and loved having it right where I needed it at all times, no arm sweeps. My LDS owner told me in no way could I wear the configuration in a class because it takes precious seconds to remove the reg over my head to donate to a buddy. I seconded his opinion and cut the thing off. I had used the elasticized cord, tied two knots and zip tied it to my reg. I enjoy the convenience, especially when on a long surface swim. I haven't put it back on, and after 30 dives without it, I miss the convenience. I don't have a spare octo for my buddy if I need to share air, I have to donate my primary and use my b/c for my air. When I do a pre dive buddy check, I show my buddy in the water how I remove the reg and donate it to them.
OK, just to be sure I understand - you have a SINGLE second stage, and it is bungeed around your neck? In an OOA situation you would pull the bungeed second stage off your head (from around your neck) and give it to an OOA diver, then use you BCD inflator to breath from?

Say it isn't so! IF that is truly the case, your LDS owner is being kind. Who taught you / suggested to you to use that configuration? You would NOT ever DM for an OW class that I teach with that configuration. Of course, if I misunderstood your post, my previous comments can be ignored. I really want to believe that there is a misunderstanding here.

I use a 7' hose with a bungee octo. If I were to do it again I would do a 40" or longer main with a 90* elbow under the right arm and a bungeed octo. Donate the 40" hose straight out from the mouth since that is what they will be grabbing. Go to the octo. Quite streamlined, and simple. I'll probably set my wife's up like I just typed above. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a quick note. I am slammed right now, will reply to all your posts late tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I'm not a troll, ...although I'm 1/4 Norwegian!!

I saw the movie. It was a documentary. I know what Norwegian trolls look like. You definitely are not one. Too short by 40 to 200 feet if you include the mountain trolls.

I use a 7' hose with a bungee octo. If I were to do it again I would do a 40" or longer main with a 90* elbow under the right arm and a bungeed octo. Donate the 40" hose straight out from the mouth since that is what they will be grabbing. Go to the octo. Quite streamlined, and simple. I'll probably set my wife's up like I just typed above. Thoughts?

I did the exact same but ran into a small problem. If your bungee octo has an adjustment knob, then it will snag. Every time I turned my head left, then down, then right, my angle adapter snagged and became partially pinned between the adjustment knob and mouthpiece. It would come loose if I turned my head far-left again or if I un-snagged it by hand (but it was actually snagged). That's the main reason why I eventually went all the way to a 7ft hose, even though I'm staying open water recreational.

I like my bungee backup too much. The rest of my reg is configured to be complementary to that.

For reference I was using a Sherwood Magnum (small size secondary) on a 40in hose-90 angle adapter w/ a Scubapro 109 bungee backup.

If you do go that route, it is a very good route aside from that small quirk. Donating is still a breeze, just grab the hose and use your index finger and thumb to twirl the second stage around to face the OOA diver. Works just as fast as a 7ft long hose. Avoid the swivels and get a standard 90 angle adapter. You don't need the extra point the swivel gives you, it complicates donating.

I would suggest using a 44in hose though, as the 40in came really close to my arm pit, so the extra length would still work and might be useful. I'm a very small dude btw.

I use a 7' hose with a bungee octo. If I were to do it again I would do a 40" or longer main with a 90* elbow under the right arm and a bungeed octo. . . . Thoughts?
Why? And what do you mean by 'or longer'? I have some trouble adding 'thoughts' without understanding your rationale. I don't see any benefit of moving back, from a 7' primary to a 40" primary, but I may be missing something.

G11 good points, she won't have an adjustment knob on her octo.

Regarding the "or longer" statement, something a little longer than 40". Maybe 50", I dunno, she can tuck it in her waist belt. I don't think the wife will ever get into this enough to use the 7' hose. I have been wrong before, just ask her. I'm not going back to a short hose for sure.

Why? And what do you mean by 'or longer'? I have some trouble adding 'thoughts' without understanding your rationale. I don't see any benefit of moving back, from a 7' primary to a 40" primary, but I may be missing something.

You can share air and transfer to an ascent site just fine with a 40in hose on angle adapter. I've done it myself, it's very comfortable; the angle adapter gives you a better range of motion on the primary hose for the OOA diver.
If you don't require 7ft of hose, the 40in or even 44in is convenient in that you don't have to manage all that hose when gearing up.

G11 good points, she won't have an adjustment knob on her octo.

Regarding the "or longer" statement, something a little longer than 40". Maybe 50", I dunno, she can tuck it in her waist belt. I don't think the wife will ever get into this enough to use the 7' hose. I have been wrong before, just ask her. I'm not going back to a short hose for sure.

Just a note, there's no real comfortable way to tuck a hose into your stock BC waist band when configured this way. If you use a Bp/W with nothing attached to your right side of the waist strap I suppose you can make it work. Haven't tried myself, I just know that tucking is not a comfortable option for stock BC's. I'd be interested to see if the Bp/W makes this work.

With no can on the right side, a DIR knife sheath works pretty well. If the knife isn't big enough, though (e.g., Trilobite), just stuffing the loop into the waist strap works well. It's not uncomfortable for me even when diving in board shorts...YMMV.

You can share air and transfer to an ascent site just fine with a 40in hose on angle adapter. I've done it myself, it's very comfortable; the angle adapter gives you a better range of motion on the primary hose for the OOA diver.
If you don't require 7ft of hose, the 40in or even 44in is convenient in that you don't have to manage all that hose when gearing up.

Just a note, there's no real comfortable way to tuck a hose into your stock BC waist band when configured this way. If you use a Bp/W with nothing attached to your right side of the waist strap I suppose you can make it work. Haven't tried myself, I just know that tucking is not a comfortable option for stock BC's. I'd be interested to see if the Bp/W makes this work.
With bp/wing it is better to route under a pocket on the waiste strap, or even a knife scabbard....Of course, a can light is ideal, but the other 2 choices cost little to nothing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom