Regulator bungie for recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"If you have trouble finding a secure method for your octo (aside from the necklace) I would suggest making a loop out of 3/16" bungee or using a snorkel keeper. Loop it around a D-ring and hook the mouthpiece into the loop; wrapping it past the zip tie notch."

Really? Don't you think a snorkel keeper secured past the zip tie has a pretty good chance of pulling the mouthpiece off with it when deployed rapidly. I'm looking at mine and it doesn't have much give.

Considering every year 60 basic students, 42 adv, 24 rescue, and multitudes of TA's use our gear and haven't yanked a mouthpiece out yet......I think it's not a likelyhood. The snorkel keeper usually breaks first after several thousand uses (guesstimating, I actually don't count how many times we practice).

Most second stages have a lip at the end of their mouthpiece column, so if your zip tie is tightened (which it should be) it's not going over that lip. Not that the moutpiece moves at all even when you're deploying it in this set up. You're really only putting tension on one side of the mouthpiece (the side of the ziptie notch) so there's really no way it's coming off. (ie. you can't pull a tightened ziptie off when you're only pulling one side of it) Hope that explanation makes sense; that's the way I see it.

If you don't secure it past the ziptie notch then there's no guarantee it will stay put.

One reason is that an OOA diver is most likely to grab the reg out of your mouth in an emergency. That's why the backup reg is bunged around your neck. It's faster to donate your primary, and you're not under the same stress to switch to the secondary without anything in your mouth for a few seconds. Also, if properly sized and positioned, you can get the secondary into your mouth without using your hands. You could have a situation where the primary gets ripped out of your mouth and your hands are occupied.

There are many reasons to have the primary on a long hose (5 or 7) and the secondary on a necklace. But having a short primary on a necklace that is zip tied while the secondary is an integrated octo seems like a bad idea. The only advantage you have is that in case you accidentally lose your primary, you can find it without doing a hand sweep. This pales in comparison to having an unencumbered second stage ready to donate or be ripped out of your mouth by an OOA diver.

I couldn't agree more !!!

Allow me the clarify, if it is the standard octo length there would be a big bow of hose outside your profile. This tends to catch on things or rub up against your buddy or the environment. So yes I see a problem here to put it bluntly.

How is the "bow of hose" any different in Configuration A in which the octo is held in a rubber necklace than in the traditional PADI-sanctioned Configuration B in which the octo is held in a conventional octo-holder (whether ball, snorkel keep or whatever) attached to a BCD D-ring? In Configurations A and B the octo position differs by only five or six inches. Whether it's under my chin on the necklace or a few inches to the right or left on a D-ring seems trivial. In both Configurations A and B the octo is still more or less within the so-called golden triangle.

DaleC in post #59 says octos in rubber necklaces hang too low, but it seems in the right place to me.

If an OOA diver is going for your octo, it's in a uncommon spot. Your buddy may have no trouble if he's been briefed, but a non-buddy or panicked buddy will have some trouble identifying.

The octo is yellow and has a yellow hose, so I would hope the OOA diver would reach for that one. However, in the event the OOA diver pulls the primary out of my mouth (which I can assume he would do regardless of whether it's Configuration A or B), can't I simply grab the octo that's under my chin and put it in my mouth? I mean, if he grabbed the reg out of my mouth in a traditional Configuration B, I'd have to reach for the octo on my D-ring anyway and put the Octo in my mouth. So what's the difference really? I'm not trying to be argumentative--I'm just trying to determine if there is any cause for concern with what I'm doing (above and beyond any concerns there may be about the traditional PADI-sanctioned golden triangle donate-the-secondary configuration). I know at least one other person posted here that he does the same thing. Morever, since yellow rubber necklaces are available, I suspect many other people are doing this, too.

So I don't see a benefit in having the standard length octo bungeed to your neck.

Ah. The benefit that I perceive, however minor it may be, is that I believe I can find and grab the octo under my chin faster than I can take it out of the traditional octo-holder on the D-ring (if the OOA diver doesn't grab it first), even though the difference in locations is only a few inches. I always seem to fumble for a second when I need to locate the D-rings and whatever is on them--I don't have an intuitive feel for where they are on my chest. But if something is hanging from my neck, I can somehow put my hand on it immediately. Maybe it's mostly psychological: I just like the idea of having something so important as an octo right there in front of me where I can keep an eye on it, not a few inches off to the side where it's often out of my field of view.

If you have trouble finding a secure method for your octo (aside from the necklace) I would suggest making a loop out of 3/16" bungee or using a snorkel keeper. Loop it around a D-ring and hook the mouthpiece into the loop; wrapping it past the zip tie notch.

I've tried all kinds of octo holders, including the snorkel keeper method, and I eventually went back to the common "ball" type. I hate them all. Some release too easily, some are too difficult to release, some let the octo flop around, etc. The rubber necklace seems to address the things I haven't liked about other octo holders. That said, the donate-the-primary configuration does seem to be better than either A or B.

Donating the primary allows you to swim side by side an OOA diver if you use a long hose. Having your octo under your chin allows you to find it quickly, even without using your hands. It also keeps it from dragging in the sand or being pulled free if you use a short bungee. There are no bad sides to using this configuration.

So I learned through SSI which teaches the share the primary and you use the secondary. It is with a 36" primary hose and you grab the OOA divers bcd. I have a 36" primary hose with a 22" secondary on the bungee and both regs are the same so it doesn't matter to me although I am planning to use a longer primary hose.

Lorenzoid, the main difference I perceive in regards to hose bowing is this:
With the necklace, you have a 40in hose bowing outside your profile, off your right shoulder. If it's connected to you chest D-ring it should be able to tuck the hose neatly under your arm without causing discomfort. On a necklace the hose can still tuck under your arm, however it will cause a twist in the necklace if done this way (which theoretically for me would be an uncomfortable feeling).
I'm assuming in either configuration you have not been tucking the hose?

The only cause of concern I see with your method is that you present a larger profile off your side which could brush up/snag against the environment if you're not looking. Considering it's a 36-40in hose, that's a large dangly area that you may not always be monitoring. Better to stow it, which in my opinion would be either on your chest, or getting a 22-24in hose for your necklace. The latter would however prompt getting a longer primary for OOA donation to keep your options open.

To find the octo on your chest I find a slide method is the best (in fact the best for finding all your gear)
Tap your shoulder then slide your hand down. I guarantee you will find your octo quickly, either by it touching your arm, wrist, or hand. If you spend time tapping your body trying to pin-point a piece of gear, you could possibly spend more time finding it VS sliding your hand down and covering a larger surface area.

And before you knock it, try the 3/16" bungee method for securing. It's more stretchy than the snorkel keeper and more durable. It will keep your octo in until you want to release it and it will release just as easy.
Tie an over hand knot to form a loop, loop it through your D-ring, slide your mouthpiece through the resulting loop. Hook the zip tie notch into the loop as well and it's secure.

How often do you do this? What do you do in the other cases?:confused4:

It was meant as a general statement on what happens when a dive buddy needs to share air, based on what I've seen in my diving. I think it's a myth that when a dive buddy needs air he/she is necessarily in a panic and will pull your reg away from you. That is possible and may happen, but in every case I've seen, sharing air was more controlled than that. That's the point I was trying to make with that statement.

Back
Top Bottom