Regulator bungie for recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is what I like and what I will do for my wife. Octo is close and primary is available if needed.
Scuba Diving: Streamlined Regulator for Single Tank Diving - YouTube

HTH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That looks like a nice system as well. Also uses ideas from DIR and adapted for recreational diving.

The system I use has a 5 ft hose for the octo, tucked into a bungee on the tank, and attached with a small bungee holder to a D ring. And as mentioned before my primary is on a bungee necklace. Mine has the advantage of a long hose for air sharing without the issues of wrapping the long hose, and my primary reg is always near my mouth.

That looks like a nice system as well. Also uses ideas from DIR and adapted for recreational diving.

The system I use has a 5 ft hose for the octo, tucked into a bungee on the tank, and attached with a small bungee holder to a D ring. And as mentioned before my primary is on a bungee necklace. Mine has the advantage of a long hose for air sharing without the issues of wrapping the long hose, and my primary reg is always near my mouth.

Not quite tracking on this one, seems like there might be an issue with it coming loose and dangling. Do you have a pic?

---------- Post added November 19th, 2012 at 10:07 PM ----------

The only part I dont agree with is using a 90 on your primary... just another failure point to be concerned with.

You do have a point in theory. I've only had one failure in 30yrs on a hose junction. It was a straight connection just this year. The elbow took the stress off the connection.
e5ubu7uq.jpg

HTH

This discussion has drifted, but one advantage of having the octopus on a necklace is that it is more easy to detect a freeflow if it is right under your nose and you have some sensitivity in your neck.

If you are doing an inverted descent (swimming down or pulling down an anchor line) you are less able to feel the freeflow bubbles if clipped of on a d-ring because the BC shields you from feeling the bubbles.

I think that the only good thing about an octopus necklace (bungie cord or pre-fabricated) on a short hose is that it's right by your mouth. That's it.

Everything else is academic. Good golly, we even had a discussion not on whether or not the cord is pre-fabricated or bungie, but how to tie the knot on the bungie.

Do you know of many 90-elbow failures?
It's probably a failure of the elbow that tightened the 90 in the first place, a machined piece of stainless is fairly bulletproof.

"Failure point" seems to be taking over the "your gonna die" spot in an argument, I'm not looking forward to the change.

Bob
--------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet

I think that the only good thing about an octopus necklace (bungie cord or pre-fabricated) on a short hose is that it's right by your mouth. That's it.

Everything else is academic. Good golly, we even had a discussion not on whether or not the cord is pre-fabricated or bungie, but how to tie the knot on the bungie.

Isn't this part of the fun?

It's probably a failure of the elbow that tightened the 90 in the first place, a machined piece of stainless is fairly bulletproof.

"Failure point" seems to be taking over the "your gonna die" spot in an argument, I'm not looking forward to the change.

Bob
--------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet

If you're really going to sit down and figure out all the failure points on a rig, you might as well take up golfing. It's a lot safer.

If you're really going to sit down and figure out all the failure points on a rig, you might as well take up golfing. It's a lot safer.

What is the harm in reducing risk? If you ride a motorcyle, why wear a Helmet or Protective Gear? You don't crash or have an accident everytime you ride....

Failure point is not the same as likelyhood of it failing. Considering angle adapters (90's 45's 20's) use the same connections as your standard regulator hose, how is that going to be anymore likely to fail? That's like saying a 7ft hose decreases your breathing pressure because it's so much longer.

Swivels on the other had a bad early track record because the swivel itself was held together by a philips-head screw. New application of an old tech for scuba equipment. But that issue has been addressed and fixed since that time.

For that matter lets go into doubles. Adding one more regulator adds one more failure point in the extra regulator as a whole, plus the pressure ports if you really want to get into it. Din connection, 5 LP port, 2 HP ports, plus hose connections. My, that's 11 failure points added just to dive doubles, plus the failure point of the extra tank valve o-ring. Let's add the isolator and burst disks. Dry suit inflator hose you say?
That's 15.

See how that argument seems plain silly?
We should just have the manifold going into one regulator. Yes you lose the redundancy, but you get rid of the failure points!

Failure point is not the same as likelyhood of it failing. Considering angle adapters (90's 45's 20's) use the same connections as your standard regulator hose, how is that going to be anymore likely to fail?

By its self, its no more likely to fail. But now you have two (the elbow and the regular hose fitting), which doubles the (unlikely) chance of a failure. Given the choice, I'd rather not have extra stuff to break/leak because I like diving, not fiddling with gear. Swivels, otoh, are to be avoided.

All that said, I think configuring your regs the way shown in the above posted Dive Rite video is a pretty good way to do it, elbow or not. Far better than the standard-issue PADI Open Water reg setup that's so common.

Back
Top Bottom