Regulator choice: comfort and ease of breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taimen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Once again a regulator question. I am planning a new single set for recreational diving. Both travel and local diving (in cold waters).

For the reg I am considering Apex XTX50 or XTX200/DST, Scubapro MK25EVO / G260 or A700 and maybe even Atomic T3. Not limited to these models, but they are readily available and can be serviced locally.

Apeks has a great reputation for reliability and good value. It is prehaps the most common regulator in local diving scene and would be a no-brainer choice for me.
I am aware of piston vs diaphragm differences and port number and hose routing issues. All of those models are used very succesfully for the type of diving I am doing.

Now the question that I can’t solve on paper. How much difference there is between these quality/premium regulators when comparing comfort and especially ease of breathing, at recreational scuba depths?
Is there a regulator that clearly offers better performance or comfort, aside the light weight of Atomic T3. How do SP G260 and A700 differ? A lot of people tell G260 is the easiest breathing regulator, but scubapro advertises the A700 more in this respect.

So no noticeable difference in breathing comfort you say?

Once again a regulator question. I am planning a new single set for recreational diving. Both travel and local diving (in cold waters).

For the reg I am considering Apex XTX50 or XTX200/DST, Scubapro MK25EVO / G260 or A700 and maybe even Atomic T3. Not limited to these models, but they are readily available and can be serviced locally.

Apeks has a great reputation for reliability and good value. It is prehaps the most common regulator in local diving scene and would be a no-brainer choice for me.
I am aware of piston vs diaphragm differences and port number and hose routing issues. All of those models are used very succesfully for the type of diving I am doing.

Now the question that I can’t solve on paper. How much difference there is between these quality/premium regulators when comparing comfort and especially ease of breathing, at recreational scuba depths?
Is there a regulator that clearly offers better performance or comfort, aside the light weight of Atomic T3. How do SP G260 and A700 differ? A lot of people tell G260 is the easiest breathing regulator, but scubapro advertises the A700 more in this respect.
See if you can try it first and see it for yourself. To be honest, you cannot go wrong with any of the regs that you've listed. SP, Atomic, and Apeks are all reputable brand with their own followers. If you have a good idea of the functions as you've stated, then it is all about style at this point.

Ease of breathing - I am biased towards Atomic but again, that is my experience and preference. For the record, I own B2 and SP MK17/G260. While I love me B2, I love my MK17/G260 as well.

Better performance - Unless you are a machine, I really don't think you can tell much of a difference.

If you don't use the regulators I use, you are going to die a horrible suffering death!!!

So long as the Reg has an adjustment for the inhalation I'm happy. I actually prefer a little resistance to remind me not to be an air hog. I've got big lungs you see......

Read that thread before, quite confusing. I guess the objective testing may end up measuring type of performance which has not much in common with real life use.
That is why I asked the question. How do you feel subjectively about the differences between this class of regulators?
Is there a noticable difference between a well maintained Apeks and Atomic and how would you describe it? Is it something that makes diving more enjoyabe or something that can be spotted only in side by side comparisons?

It's not THAT complicated. Pretty much any mid > top end regulator is going to work fine for recreational diving. What may end up being more important to comfort is the mouthpiece, hose length, and routing. All of those can be changed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom