Regulator choice: comfort and ease of breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now the question that I can’t solve on paper. How much difference there is between these quality/premium regulators when comparing comfort and especially ease of breathing, at recreational scuba depths?
Is there a regulator that clearly offers better performance or comfort, aside the light weight of Atomic T3. How do SP G260 and A700 differ? A lot of people tell G260 is the easiest breathing regulator, but scubapro advertises the A700 more in this respect.
Between those three, and just about every other comparable regulator on the market, I seriously doubt you'll notice any difference in breathing. Likewise, weight doesn't really make much of a difference underwater. If your regulator is uncomfortable, it can most likely be dramatically improved with a different mouthpiece. Titanium offers a weight advantage, but it's not enough to worry about for the average diver. Titanium is also better at corrosion resistance, but again, most likely not an issue. I've got 3 regulators at my house. First one is 20 years old, second is 13 years old, and 3rd is 3 years old. All three look great. 1st one is mostly out of service, but the other two get serviced regularly, and corrosion hasn't been an issue.

If I were buying those, I'd most likely go with the Apex. But reasons have nothing to do with performance. The Scubapros would not even be considered. Nothing at all to do with performance, or really even Scubapro. It's just that I absolutely hate the Scubapro dive shops in my area. I refuse to set foot in most of them, and would not be willing to have service done at any of them. I can get Apex and Atomic serviced at a shop I like. Same place that currently services my Zeagles. Since servicing the two is a tossup, I'd go with Apex on cost alone. There are cheaper Atomic alternatives, which breathe exactly the same, and could make the decision more difficult.

I refuse to set foot in most of them, and would not be willing to have service done at any of them.

Why? What is the problem with these dealers?

Why? What is the problem with these dealers?
It varies by dealer. One is high pressure, "You need to buy this $2,000.00 regulator, or you will die." Not helpful at all. The others aren't quite that bad, but close. Techs are sketchy there.

First one is well known in my area. Many divers avoid like the plague. Luckily, I've got a few good dive shops around, so it's not a big deal to go to a dive shop that's friendly and helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom