Regulator choice: comfort and ease of breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read that thread before, quite confusing. I guess the objective testing may end up measuring type of performance which has not much in common with real life use.
That is why I asked the question. How do you feel subjectively about the differences between this class of regulators?
Is there a noticable difference between a well maintained Apeks and Atomic and how would you describe it? Is it something that makes diving more enjoyabe or something that can be spotted only in side by side comparisons?
Sorry, I can't help you. I have been diving Scubapro regulators since 1972, started with a MK5/R109, which I still occasionally dive, and now dive a MK25/S600. All my Scubapro regulators have been good breathers. I have never dived Apeks or Atomic regulators, many people I have dived with think highly of them. I'm not sure you can really go wrong here. Good luck in your purchase.

The vast majority of recreational divers would not be able to tell the difference between a well-tuned $300 reg set and one costing 1200.

The vast majority of recreational divers would not be able to tell the difference between a well-tuned $300 reg set and one costing 1200.

This ^^^ in spades.

you won't be able to tell a difference in the breathing. They're all so damned close these days you have to be actively looking for breathing differences. Several of us including the Bryan who posted above me have been involved in regulator development and have had to pay very close attention to the breathing. I can tell the difference between the regs that you have asked about if I am asked to find them. I can also probably tell you in a blind test *as long as it isn't a deaf test* which one is which *though Scubapro and Atomic would be difficult*. That said, in a normal dive, you don't notice the differences so it doesn't matter.
What DOES matter is the comfort of the regulators on your jaw and that is going to be more important than their breathing for most people. Thankfully things like ball swivels and mouthpieces can be used to compensate for most of that.

You can't go wrong, choose the one that looks cool and makes you happy, the breathing is going to be up to your reg tech and a good one can get all of those regulators breathing so close to each other that you almost need a machine to figure it out

Thanks, this is pretty much what I was hoping to hear.
Now is there anything I should know when choosing between SP A700 vs G260 if I decide to go scubapro? Many say G260 is more sensitive due to it's larger diaphragm. Is this once again something only a machine can figure out?

Now is there anything I should know when choosing between SP A700 vs G260 if I decide to go scubapro? Many say G260 is more sensitive due to it's larger diaphragm. Is this once again something only a machine can figure out?
Personal choice, I like the size and weight of the S600

@DA Aquamaster will have to verify, but I believe they use the same diaphragm

Any of those regs will be fine, just pick based on what you get a deal on and if you want to dry seal (apeks), pack with grease (atomic), give up the turret (mk17) or roll the dice on the mk25 evo for cold water.

The g260 can have the cover removed if absolutely necessary underwater for repairs, but it generally isn't a must have feature. Can't do that for the a700.

I have not used the regs you mention, but I do have the Mares Abyss 22 Navy II Black, which I must say is outstanding for ease of breathing, and is a cold water system as well. Super happy with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom