Regulator cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have regulators really been known to go out of adjustment after six months of storage, assuming (the facts as I understood them from the original post) that the reg was bought new from a shop in presumably ready-to-dive condition and stored properly (e.g., out of sunlight, fumes, etc.)?

Lorenzoid,
Not generally, but a lot depends upon the type of reg and how it was set up. For example, if the second stage was tuned "close to the edge," 6 months of pressure on the second stage seat might cause it to engrave enough to cause a slight freeflow. This can be corrected quite easily.

I had a reg set up wrong at the retailer.

Luckily I tested it before I got to where I was diving and made sure it was square. It wasn't.

I'd put it on a full tank at the very least and make sure it's breathing and not making a horrible noise like my brand new one was.

Many regulators will make funny noises when you breath them out of the water...its not always an indication that something is wrong.

Yeah, wash it out first before you take your first big breath off it. You wouldn't want to suck in a spider or other critter now would you? B.

I call my MK25/A700 the silver goose, it makes all kinds of noise breathing it on the surface, underwater it is quiet and smooth.

Have regulators really been known to go out of adjustment after six months of storage, assuming (the facts as I understood them from the original post) that the reg was bought new from a shop in presumably ready-to-dive condition and stored properly (e.g., out of sunlight, fumes, etc.)?

Regulators are notorious for going out of adjustment immediately after servicing. This is usally a combination of new parts that are still mating and the technician wanting to deliver a perfectly tuned regulator. The inevitable seating which tales place during storage moves the tune from ideal to free flow. This can be mitigated bu cycling the regulator at the shop such as on a breathing machine or making the initial setting to allow for seating.

As for your new regulator spending 6 months in the closet I would not have a big concern. The factory probably does a better job of anticipating seating. Also, while it spent 6 months with you there is a good chance it commonly spends much longer in the supply chain after manufacturing.

Did your dealer hook it up and test / adjust on a flow bench?

Pete

Regulators are notorious for going out of adjustment immediately after servicing. This is usally a combination of new parts that are still mating and the technician wanting to deliver a perfectly tuned regulator. The inevitable seating which tales place during storage moves the tune from ideal to free flow. This can be mitigated bu cycling the regulator at the shop such as on a breathing machine or making the initial setting to allow for seating.

As for your new regulator spending 6 months in the closet I would not have a big concern. The factory probably does a better job of anticipating seating. Also, while it spent 6 months with you there is a good chance it commonly spends much longer in the supply chain after manufacturing.

Did your dealer hook it up and test / adjust on a flow bench?

Pete

Pete,

They did not hook attest on a flow bench. I washed her out this morning and it work phenomenally. It made a little noise on the surface when not in the water and getting back on the boat from the first dive she free-flowed, but all i had to do was take the adjustment valve down to minimum and it stopped the free-flow then and there. Thanks for all the advice and replies.

Back
Top Bottom