Regulator for a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erbedo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I recently got my CMAS One Star certification, and I am (finally :)) doing my first dives.

I am now looking into equipment, apart from the suit which I already have. Basically, regulator and jacket.

The first item I would like to buy is the regulator. I am looking either at the Scubapro MK17 or MK25, with the s600 as second stage. Most of the dives will take place in Italy (i.e. ater between 12/13 in the cold months, up to 22/24 during summer). MK17 certainly costs less, but I would like to spend the money on something reliable and that could last for years. At the same time, I am not sure whether a novice could grasp the differences between the two.

best advantage of the mk25 is the vastly superior hose routing, that comes at the cost of being an open piston that requires better soaking and cleaning after diving in salt water. I do not personally like piston regulators for that reason, but they are certainly not a bad option. Do not be afraid of purchasing used either, MK25/S600 combo's are on ebay and here all the time and you can save a tremendous amount of money

You said it yourself... something reliable that lasts for years. You may be a novice now but in a few years if you keep it up you'll appreciate the Mk25. Its a great first stage built to last with excellent performance. It is my regulator of choice along with the S600.

I do quite a bit of coldwater diving and my primary reg is the MK17/G260. Very reliable. I also have the MK25 which I pull out on occasion when diving down south. But my goto reg is the MK17.

Thanks for all your answers.

I looked for the apeks, but I couldn't find the xtx40.

Anyway, I just found a deal for the mk25, but realized there is also the EVO version. Would I notice any tangible difference between the two, apart the price? :wink:

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk

EVO is just Scubapro's solution to diving in colder water - a "Extended Thermal Insulating System" and "Anti-freee protection" etc... you will not notice any tangible difference between the two.

Anyway, I just found a deal for the mk25, but realized there is also the EVO version. Would I notice any tangible difference between the two, apart the price?

I dare say the breathing performance will be the same but this model is claimed to have more thermal resistance so depending on how this is done the servicing costs could be increased, particularly if they pack the expensive grease.

- Patent-pending XTIS (Extended Thermal Insulating System) fully isolates the mechanical elements from the cold, increasing freezing resistance 30 percent over the previous MK25 without compromising breathing performance. Key insulation system components are visible in blue.- New spring insulating coating, body insulating bushing, anti-freeze cap, bigger body and cap thread all work in concert with the XTIS to improve cold-water performance.

Ok, so i suppose i can skip any EVO reg and just choose between mk25 and mk17.

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom