Regulator for Pony setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilD once bubbled... Thanks for the info. Looks simple enough. I'll give it go and see how it works out. One last question, I've seen various references to a "suicide clip", what is it?

Thanks.
That's a gate snap hook. It is so named because it can trap a line without you knowing it.

Probably the most famous case was John Ormsby on the Andrea Doria. There's a picture on page 15 of "Deep Descent".

PhilD once bubbled...
Thanks for the info. Looks simple enough. I'll give it go and see how it works out. One last question, I've seen various references to a "suicide clip", what is it?

Thanks.

Suicide clips are generally accepted to be any clip that can clip on to a line without pulling the pin/gate open manually. Gate clips (carabeeners) are an excellent example of this. You put pressure on the gate and next thing you know you're clipped to the line.

You'll find no suicide clips on my gear. I strongly suggest avoiding them. I dont even like piston clips with ramps.

A simple dog leash clip (stainless steel bolt snap) in a size that you can easily manipulate with gloves is what you want for rigging a stage.

Ok, this may get me flamed, but I have to say something.

I am not a fan of yoke attachments. In my opinion if you are getting to the point that you want to carry a stage then it's time to switch to DIN. You can probably adapt your backgas reg to DIN as well.

1. I really prefer the connection DIN makes to the tank.
2. I have had stage regs come loose on me (but being DIN I just had to screw them back on).
3. I have heard first hand accounts of divers using yoke adapters losing their regs, though it sounds like they must have had other problems for this to happen.
4. I find DIN to be ergonomically better

DON!!

Oh $hit did you see that set-up Ormsby had!!!!

I'm sick to death just thinking about it.

What else could you say but "What a dumb-a$$?"

That was just pure ugly.

It's something that will stick with me forever. Just think, he was dead only hours after that first photo.

And then the body recovery photos.

Oh man, I'm gonna be sick <blaaarhhhh, spew....>

What complete terror he must have felt.

As some of you may have read, I got "mildly" hung up inside the Empress Of Ireland. It was no big deal really, but it did happen. One foot above my head, and I didn't even see it. Electrical cables were hanging down and caught my valves. I felt it immediately, went ahead once more to confirm it wasn't my imagination playing tricks, and I could feel it. I just reached up and gently pulled them over, and made a mental note to watch for them on the way back. Sure as shootin' I saw them on my return. I can still see them in my minds eye.

What a week of diving!!! I can't wait to return again.

Thanks all for the comments. I seem to see a majority of folks saying that a regulator for a pony is very similar to the reg for your main tank. I had thought there might be smaller, or more low-profile options for ponys, but it makes sense they need to meet the same specs.

I also see a trend toward slinging a pony like a stage bottle as opposed to tank mounting it. That makes sense if I'm not turning on the pony till I need it, I can get to it better. And, another thing mounted on the back is something else to snag things and get entangled. But it is easier, and maybe more streamlined.

Also, spare air's tend to get bashed a lot, and I did the math (calculated my sac or rmv last weekend, 0.67cfm, and doing the math a spare air ain't much help, but probably better than nothing). And the Odyssey wasn't well received either, though it's major downfall (assuming the unit is bulit well and I don't know that) is that it's right on the bottle, so may be hard to use or get to.

My reason for wanting a pony is safety more than anything. I don't dive by myself much, and if I ever do it's only in very low-stress environments (no surf, no kelp, no overhead environments, etc.). But it's not much fun either! My goal in this stage of my diving career (25 years in) is to become 100% self-sufficient. THEN have a buddy there too, as the ultimate safety net. I see too many "co-dependent" divers, divers who NEED a buddy there. I want one there, but don't want to NEED one, if that makes sense. The only way to go is to have two self-sufficient divers diving together! So, in training myself to get myself out of anything I get myself into, it makes me a better diver. And the pony may be part of that. Just checking things out. As I always say, "Trust Everyone, but CUT the CARDS YOURSELF"!

=Steve=

I use a pony mounted over to one side of my primary tank. I have a small counterweight on the opposite side. A friend of mine swears by sidemounting his. Use a reg that is as good as your primary. If you are at 100' and your primary goes south, (or a panic sticken buddy needs air NOW), the redundant one needs to breathe as easily as your primary doesn't it?
Norm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom