Regulator Mouthpieces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PToone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have had a lot of problems with my mask flooding. I notice it floods when I re-adjust my regulator or when I swallow and my regulator moves in my mouth. I have tried for months now with different masks(low-volume, high-volume), trying not to move my regulator at all while diving, making sure I'm not nose breathing, etc.. and I cannot seem to get this problem corrected.

I am now looking into getting a new mouth piece (hopefully a smaller one) to see if it will alleviate this issue. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Does anyone have a Seacure or a Cushion Fit Regulator mouthpiece? I'm hoping that by maybe getting a smaller mouthpiece that I might fix this issue of my mask seal breaking during a dive. It seems that since I have such a skinny face that I don't get a great seal anyways, and a big regulator moving in my mouth (by my upper lip) that it breaks the seal by my nose. So if anyone has experienced this problem, or has experience with these mouthpieces I'd love to hear from you.

I've been diving a Seacure for several year, for me, it's incredibly comfortable. I don't know if it will solve your problem.

Good diving, Craig

I have had a lot of problems with my mask flooding. I notice it floods when I re-adjust my regulator or when I swallow and my regulator moves in my mouth. I have tried for months now with different masks(low-volume, high-volume), trying not to move my regulator at all while diving, making sure I'm not nose breathing, etc.. and I cannot seem to get this problem corrected.

I am now looking into getting a new mouth piece (hopefully a smaller one) to see if it will alleviate this issue. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Does anyone have a Seacure or a Cushion Fit Regulator mouthpiece? I'm hoping that by maybe getting a smaller mouthpiece that I might fix this issue of my mask seal breaking during a dive. It seems that since I have such a skinny face that I don't get a great seal anyways, and a big regulator moving in my mouth (by my upper lip) that it breaks the seal by my nose. So if anyone has experienced this problem, or has experience with these mouthpieces I'd love to hear from you.

Any chance you can get in a pool with an instructor?

...well, I've successfully recommended a Poseidon 'Modesty' model mask to several fellow divers with narrow faces...actually, that mask seems to fit anyone...narrow-faced or not. I don't really think focusing on the reg mouthpiece is going to be productive, being that sensitive to the least bit of movement of your mouth breaking the mask 'seal' just isn't a viable way to continue enjoyable diving.

I had a somewhat similar issue w/ my Apeks reg. This was one of the older models rebranded by Zeagle. The rubber-like mouthpiece was short and fat and seemed to cause more mask leakage, especially when diving w/ a hood

I bought a clear silicone one (don't remember the brand), that was longer in the part you bite on, and not as bulky. Seemed to help. My newer Apeks doubles regs have the original Apeks mouthpieces, but they appear to be a silicone type rubber and I don't have an issue w/ them.

I wouldn't necessarily jumpt to the high dollar Seacure just yet, but it's fairly cheap ($10-15) to try a couple other mouthpieces. Look at the shape of your current one and see if you can find something that's shaped a little differently.

John

You need to have someone actually watch you as you make the mask leak.

It may need an adjustment (mask or strap position, strap tension) or it may not fit properly, and you need a different mask or it may be broken and have a crack or leaking purge valve.

If you need a new mask, there are all sorts of masks for different size faces, you may just have to do some hunting. for example, masks made for the Japanese market tend to be smaller.

The SeaCure is really nice and I think you'll like it, but it's not likely to fix your mask leak problem.

Terry

Last edited:
Do you have a mustache? Move the regulator, moves the upper lip, moves the mustache, breaks the seal, slight leak in mask. I have this problem every now and again and while a little annoying keeps up my mask clearing skills..

Another thought is to make sure the mask is properly equalized under water. Normally the air pressure inside the mask does now allow water to enter if there is a break in the seal of the mask in one spot.

Adam

Love my seacure mouthpiece. I shave my full beard down to super short the day before I go on a dive trip. Just pull out the old clippers take off the shortest head I normally have on it and do my whole head. Mask fits much better since I started doing that. I just don't like the mask seal stuff (looks like snot). Oh the silly things we worry about!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom