Regulator Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should look into the Atomic line of regulators as well. No matter what you choose, definitely opt for the environmentally sealed first stage. As mentioned earlier it does help with the cold water, but more importantly it will keep contaminants out. Not that I'm admitting that our water is contaminated :D

Make your decision wisely. A good regulator will last a long time! Don't just buy what works for you now. If you think you may head in a tec direction then purchase a high performer now! Not all regulators are created equally!

The best thing you can do...... try them out! Use the regulators you're interested in and see which one you like the most.

I chose to go with the Apeks XTX50. 2 of the LDS I went to had it and one was $60 less for servicing, closer to work, been around for longer, rented stuff from him for cert and bought fins, mask, snorkel, boots from him, and gave a good package price on everything (comp, BCD, etc) so I felt more comfortable getting it from them.

IF I ever get into tech diving it will be far in the future and realistically now I will be using it for vacations and local diving (the frequency I'm still unsure of) I will be able to buy a new more ballin setup in the future if needed. Thanks everyone for your opinions!

I chose to go with the Apeks XTX50. 2 of the LDS I went to had it and one was $60 less for servicing, closer to work, been around for longer, rented stuff from him for cert and bought fins, mask, snorkel, boots from him, and gave a good package price on everything (comp, BCD, etc) so I felt more comfortable getting it from them.

IF I ever get into tech diving it will be far in the future and realistically now I will be using it for vacations and local diving (the frequency I'm still unsure of) I will be able to buy a new more ballin setup in the future if needed. Thanks everyone for your opinions!

What did you do for octo?... Now you need more Apeks :D Once you dive with it you'll be very happy with your decision.

I went for the inflator hose integrated secondary air source on the black diamond BC. it was only $25 more than the octo I was looking at and it seemed like I would like it. I had read about it a lot on here and there were mixed reviews, but decided to go for it.

I have been going through the same decision process and the research I have done leads me to believe that the MK 17 and Aqualung Legend LX Supreme are the best two choices for the colder, temperate waters (as both are rated for below 7 celcius, forgive the metric). After careful consideration, it came down to product support and warranty for me. The Aqualung Lifetime parts and replacement warranty will pay for itself after a few scheduled services and therefore I went with that option. I was so impressed with the warranty, I decided on the Aqualung Black Diamond BC as well. I don't have hundreds of dives (but I plan to, and I don't want to have to re-buy equipment more than necessary). Take it for what it's worth.

I went for the inflator hose integrated secondary air source on the black diamond BC. it was only $25 more than the octo I was looking at and it seemed like I would like it. I had read about it a lot on here and there were mixed reviews, but decided to go for it.

"Mixed reviews" are one way to describe it.

Enjoy your gear choice. Hopefully your buddy will enjoy it as well.

Safe diving.

My warm water rig uses has an integrated octo/inflator......

I would consider a longer 5 or 7 foot primary reg hose OR going to Milflex hoses this will make things a bit easier if you need to share air.....

Also the Milflex hose in vey nice on the octo/inflator itself due to flexibility....

Enjoy your purchase......M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom